Midas Blenny - On the road to recovery

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Marshall O, Dec 24, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I just bought a Midas Blenny on Saturday. Yesterday (Sunday) I noticed it appeared to have lots of small white dots over its body, along with one or two larger, darker spots. After watching it more, it does appear to be scratching itself against rocks, is very lethargic, and comes up near the surface every so often. All are symptoms for both diseases IIRC. One thing that leads me to believe it may be velvet is it appears to have red in its gills (blood?).

Here are a couple of pictures (sorry, the best I could do):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully someone can confirm one way or the other so I can attempt to treat. My fear is if it is velvet, it is already too late. He is in a 46 bow QT (w/ sand, LR and inverts) along with a Flame Angel. I would move him to my 10 gal hospital tank for treatment.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I've had velvet before and it doesn't look like it....the velvet I've had before is more of an overall graying where the colors fade and the fish acts sick although there may be other symptoms with the gills....I know it's a quick killer and can spread quickly to other fish, if you're concerned it might be - I'd move the fish to QT as soon as possible...I'm sorry to see that your new fish is sick :(

4. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Thanks OFK. I am obviously hoping it is not velvet.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

The fish has a pinch abdomen, which is indicative of disease or internal parasites.

If you can get a credit or refund I would.

If it's eating I would feed the basic quality food and supplements.

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Thanks Cheryl. It did eat frozen mysis last night. I will see if it will eat again in a little bit. I will still call the LFS and see what my options are. Thank you for taking the time to look and help!

7. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Should I start a Prazipro treatment either way?

8. Click Here!

9. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

After watching him for a couple hours today, he actually does appear to be pretty active. As soon as I put some Formula 2 flake food in, he perked right up. I don't know how much he actually ate, but he was definitely interested. Here is a short video of his typical behavior today:

VID_20121224_145142_217.mp4 video by ohearn1221 | Photobucket

He also comes right up to the glass whenever I go near the tank. I am worrying too much? I was originally going to do a Prazipro treatment after the blenny & angel had been in the tank for a week or two, but I may start sooner just to be safe.

10. i3oosted

i3oosted Flamingo Tongue

Did you happen to get this from LA Divers Den?

11. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Agreed

12. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

No, LFS.