Micro-bubbles, my skimmer solution

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by asilefx, May 6, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. asilefx

asilefx Skunk Shrimp

I've had nothing but problems with my tank having way to many micro-bubbles. Well after taking it out on the pump for a while and ordering another, I realized it was the skimmer.

My first solution was to load the sump with filter floss, it helped, but when I changed the floss all the bubbles trapped got into the pump.

Last night, around 3 in the morning, I came up with an attachment for my skimmer.

I have a SeaClone, in sump. What I ended up doing is taking a soda bottle, cutting off the top, cutting off the all the feet, and then stuffing it with filter floss. I attached the bottle underneath the water exit on the skimmer.

Now all the water coming from the skimmer goes through quite a bit of filter floss before entering the sump. The result was almost instant. My tank is so clear, and so is the sump.

I just thought I'd post this in-case someone else was having the same problem.

I'll post pics when I get a chance.

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

4. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Yep, SeaClones are known to cause excessive micro-bubbles. Nice mod, no one likes micro bubbles. :)

5. niloc16

niloc16 Plankton

thats a really good idea

6. asilefx

asilefx Skunk Shrimp

Here's a pic.

It still has a few kinks, I'm on prototype 2.

I think I need to make it taller, I'm going to put 2 bottles together, and make two chambers.

[​IMG]