mickey mouse platty

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish' started by Nemo 2, Oct 10, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nemo 2

Nemo 2 Bristle Worm

my sister has a small 20 gallon with some mickey mouse plattys and she wanted to know why are they always laying on the botom.

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

4. Linda

Linda Feather Duster

I have two of them in my FW tank and, unless they're scrambling for food, they are swimming in the middle of the tank. Don't know why they'd be at the bottom all the time.

5. Nemo 2

Nemo 2 Bristle Worm

they eat fine but when she walks in the room she sees them sometimes in the bottom just laying like some lazy fish.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Well I can't speak for that type of fish, but that sounds like behavior I've seen in other fish in the saltwater world. Like fish sleeping in barnacles, that kind of stuff... Just going off of what you are saying, maybe they are alright. Have you seen them do this for yourself?

Edit: jeez... am I suggesting that your sister is lying? Maybe I should stay out of this??!?? :)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  7. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

thats not good. check the water parameters (if the fish are still living at this point) could be lack of aeration, temperature issues, or a few other things. get your water tested

8. Click Here!

9. BlackSwords11

BlackSwords11 Plankton

it isn't good, unless it is searching for food it shouldn't be sitting around.

10. reefchaos

reefchaos Flamingo Tongue

my guess is poor water conditioning.. and stress out... u should take ur water to a lps and have them test it out... acclimation is important too if you do it right