MH lights/Chiller VS hoodless LED?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by reefnJeff, Sep 11, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

I been thinking about this a lot, no doubt with the 150W MH light over that JBJ 28g HQI hooded compact nano tank the water is going to be hot all the time, So I know I will need to invest in to a chiller.

So then I thought about perhaps not using the hood and investing in LED's instead, it would be cheaper to run for sure, but I would still face warm water issues on those hot summer days.

What direction would you go?

2. Click Here!

3. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

With the MH and fans in the hood it will be ok but the water will evaporate quickly and with LED it will be less energy if you add fans the temperature will not get as hot. I think you would be better off with LED in the hood with fans.

4. Coral Dreams

Coral Dreams Astrea Snail

I have two Brand New Kessil A360Ws that I have for sale my wife and I decided to go a different route on lighting. These would work on your JBJ build and no heat, We have 2 other tanks with led fixtures but it gets hot during summer so we have chillers hooked up.

[​IMG]

5. Rhoads238

Rhoads238 Spaghetti Worm

I would advise to get the chiller regardless of your choice of lighting IMO. As far as the LED or MH choice. If I could do it again I think I would pick a MH+T5 combo fixture since I am starting to get into SPS.

6. jborlace

jborlace Purple Spiny Lobster

I have a 150 W halide over a 20 gallon tall. It doesn't heat up any more than the 4 bulb T5 I had over it. I don't have a hood though. My temp starts in the morning at 76 and about 12 hours later it's usually around 78.5. 10" above the water.