MH bulb recommendations?

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by tgood, Feb 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

Need some new bulbs for my fixture but I'm not sure which way to go. My fixture houses 2 dual actinic 420/460 bulbs as well as 2 150W MH. I love the more blue look and plan on starting with some zoa and I eventually would like to have a carpet anemone as well as various mushrooms. I saw people talking about the phoenix 14000k and was wondering what others think of those bulbs? Or does anyone have another suggestion? Input is appreciated!

2. Click Here!

3. 1fishyguy

1fishyguy Purple Spiny Lobster

By far Phoenix 14k I love them. Just got mine in last week. Perfect between the white and blue look (a lil more blue) I run 2 250w. Check out SOS lighting and find them on that site cheapest place I found. I paid 99 bucks shipped for two of them. My lfs sells them for 79 a pop

4. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Depends on what look you want. With the actinic supplements you have, the phoenix 14k will be very blue. Ushio is a very good brand to look into.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Tried Phoenix liked it, too blue though.

Tried Radium liked it, a tad pink but a nice crisp white light, loss or change in coloration after 4 months did not make me happy.

Now Ushio, neither blue or pink, German made go figure. Only had it for 3 days but I am liking it as are my corals. Manufacture states 10,000 hours life, good color stability over life time of bulb.

6. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Ushio has always been my favorite.

7. ScottsTanks

ScottsTanks Flamingo Tongue

I really like Blue Life USA's 14k south pacific sun bulbs. Very crisp light blue.

8. Click Here!

9. Ostentum

Ostentum Plankton

Single End I was very happy with the Radiums, only issue is that most ballasts do not fire them properly. For double end I would do phoenix 14k, nothing quite like them. Both of these bulbs are on the higher side of the price spectrum. For a great bulb with the most bang for the buck I think Reeflux 12k are good. They are very comparable to the look of the radium though. Very crisp white/blue for a 12k bulb.

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Going back to Phoenix, girls are fickle.