Mg level

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by cuttingras, Nov 30, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

i use salifert test kits and doing two tests back to back with a difference from 1020 to 840 shouldnt happen. you either did something wrong or the test kit is inacurate. salifert kits are by far the most accurate.

as camilsky stated there are different forms/types of Mg that may mix with other elements or may not mix. different test kits test for different forms/types of the particular elements. if you want to keep Ca 480 dKH 18 at those levels i suggest Mg around 1550. no need to go over 500 on Ca or over 1600 on Mg. my tank: Ca 470, dKH 15 with Mg @ 1550 and doesnt swing out of control. if your Ca goes to 500 bump your Mg to 1600 until the Ca comes back down to keep the swing under control.

a comfortable balance:

Ca-----dKH
    470----14.4
    480----16.6
    490----18
    500----19.8

Mg will deplete depending on whats in the tank, coraline depletes alot of Mg. after you get the Mg to the desired level test once a week, after the coraline comes back youll notice a bigger drop and may have to test in closer intervals to keep the Ca/dKH swing under control.

i wouldnt introduce Mg in your filter all the time since all thats doing is constantly raising the levels of Mg. once you get the Mg where it should be, dose according to the consumption rate.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Thanks Reef...I understand that lol how can I get my kh down to a normal level, so I don't have to worry about getting my Mg that high or keeping my Ca that high too? Or are those levels fine? I don't do anything for my kh to be that high...not that I know of...I think I just have very hard water and my ro/di doesn't soften it as much as it should(I'm guessing). I think it's time to get new filters/membrane for my ro/di anyway. Its never pulled all the junk out, right from the beginning.

4. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

get your Mg up to where it should be first off. after that stop dosing and the levels will deplete on there own. keep tabs of the levels so they dont drop below the desired level. make sure the test kit is accurate. your ro/di wont soften the water it just takes out impurities. the water introduced into it may have a high dKH which is why your dKH is at the level it is. did you ever test the fresh water going into the ro/di, remember its fresh and a saltwater dKH test kit wont work on it. check this out

Tank of the Month - January 2007 - Reefkeeping.com

research the threads attached also

5. cuttingras

I just tested again and it was up to 900 this after putting about 2 cups of epsom salts in to my filter last night(which is all gone). is there anything better than epsom salts that I can use to boost my Mg? It just isn't coming up or is there maybe something blocking it from rising? this is where I get frustrated and confused.....:worried::confused: also, GH is general hardness which is for fresh water correct?

6. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

7. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Just my .03

Not sure what you use for Salt, but I too struggled with low MG while using Instant Ocean.. When I switched to Read Sear Coral Pro Salt, My PH, Salitnity , Ca and MG were right where they need to be.

About two weeks after switching is when my Coraline came out. I had used Purple up prior, but the less I have to bu and add regualarly the better. Since switching to the Coral Pro, I stopped using the Purple up.

Also, what test kit did you buy > I like the Red Sea and Sailfert for MG.

\Cheers

8. Click Here!

9. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Correct me if Im wrong but I think thats your problem. Your kh is too high.

10. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

That does seem high..
    This is a good "Laymans Term Link" Some of the others made my head hurt.

Aquarium Chemistry, pH, gH, and kH relationship

\Good Luck

11. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

That response gets some Karma:dizzy2:

12. cuttingras

hey, yes I use IO salt and SERA Mg test, which I need a new one, this one's about to run out. As far as the salt....I really hate to switch right now, I've got almost a whole bucket I just bought....:-/