Methods for cleaning crushed coral?

Discussion in 'Sand' started by GjB, Jan 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

While looking into all of the possible things that could have my nitrates higher than I would like them, I thought I'd ask what each of you use to clean the waste from your crushed coral.

When I perform water changes, I stir up the CC using my mesh net, prior to extracting water from the tank. This is by far the worst thing I can do next to not stirring up the CC, lol. The method that I use to extract water prevents me from using a gravel vacuum type of method (which always seemed to clog up syphons anyway). I use a drill pump and some 3/4" tubing to suck the water out of my tank. It might be time for something new...

What do you use to clean the detritus and excess food from your crushed coral bed?

Do you only do this during WC's or do you use a gravel vacuum w/ filter (ex. Eheim Power Vac Pro...I think that's the name of this pricey item), in between WC's?

2. Click Here!

3. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Why can't you siphon using a gravel vac and gravity feed into a container for wastewater?

That's by far the simplest, cheapest, most effective method of cleaning your CC bed . . .

Might I ask why you are using a drill pump and all that? With a larger gravel vac and tubing you can throw plenty water down it pretty fast . . . .

I have a 120DT with a DSB that I vacuum the top 1/2" or so of - i use a simple, standard gravel vac, gravity suction and empty into some rubbermaid bins and VOILA! Clean sand bed - taking care of your CC bed is a MUST!

4. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

I may have missed something here but why not use a python? -----> Python No Spill Clean And Fill

Crushed coral is a detris trap. having good water movement in the water column is a good way to limit the buildup but its going to happen which is why i have avoided CC.

5. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

or maybe get larger diameter tubing so it wont clog so easy..

6. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

You're both right...I need to get back to my FW roots and give those gravel vacuum siphons another try (already went through 2 of them years ago because they were cheap and broke easily). Gravel constantly got stuck in the "self-priming" plastic piece of junk between the tubing and the unit.....having to break it to get the gravel out.

Any suggestions on brands? I'll look into the no spill pythons now but if that is the one that hooks up to the sink, its not an option for me.

7. us13fox

us13fox Feather Duster

I have a CC bottom and I use a gravel vac and it works just fine. I vac the top inch or so to make sure its clean and it has never clogged up. What type of gravel vac were you using??

8. Click Here!

9. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Personally, I would go with the simplest, cheapest gravel vac I could find - should be less than $20.00. Nothing but simple gravity-fed suction is needed for this cleaning.

The "self-primers" do have a greater tendency to clog than traditional simpler designs.

10. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

11. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

Yes you may :)

See above post on my past struggles with siphons. I thought I'd go the DIY route with this tank so I went to Lowe's and got (2) 5 gallon buckets, a Drill Pump, and (2) 4' sections of 3/4" clear tubing with the needed adapters to tie into the drill pump. To be honest I'm really glad you both talked me out of using this because its so cumbersome....especially with the cordless drill in one hand and having to wrestle with stiff/curled up thick hoses. What was I thinking:-[

12. us13fox

us13fox Feather Duster

That's the kind I have lol, but when I use it I'm constantly lifting the vac up to make sure the CC doesn't come out with the water and "gunk".