Method for killing unwanted algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by GuitarMan89, Sep 7, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

First, I want to say that this should not be your first method of dealing with the algae, it also won't work well for large areas that are affected. It works great for smaller areas on rock/corals that are removable. Also, Im probably not the first to do this, but thought I would share anyways.
    I have been slowly battling bryopsis and a very small hair algae outbreak. The bryopsis, as Im sure you know if you have ever had it, is extremely hard if not impossible to get rid of using the normal methods, reduced lighting, smaller feedings, water changes, removing it manually. What I did was take some bleach, mix half bleech and half Ro water to make a solution. I got some Q-tips to apply. I had a small tub, about 3 gal. and mix up a batch of salt water to have the item I was working on. I also added some water conditioner that eliminated chlorine and chloramine. Also added some to my tank just in case.
    I removed the rock or coral that the bryopsis had started growing on put it in my tub, then just took it out of the water rubbed some of the bleach solution onto the spots where the algae was growing, then dipped it back into the salt water with the conditioner in it. I did this until it started to fall off/turn white.
    Now, I was able to get very close to the corals, even right up next to them, with my mushroom, bubble, and pineapple. I did make sure that when I held it, I held it so that the bleach would drip away from the flesh of the coral. I got right up to the mushroom polyp, touched the pineapple polyp and right next to the bubble. ( I was treating the bryopsis that was growing on the rock/skelaton the coral was on, not the actual coral itself) I used the conditioner to hopefully neutralize any chlorine residue that was left on the rock. I have to say that this method worked very well, killed alot of it, some spots I missed. My corals are fine and so is my tank. Just wanted to share. Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. 1st time

1st time Purple Spiny Lobster

This is a very interesting idea. TFS