Metal Halides on planted tank

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by Blue Falcon, Nov 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

Also, my pH is a little higher than I want. I'm using RO water, with seachem equilibrium to add minerals and electrolytes, and I'm using seachem acid buffer to try and get it down. Do you think the yeast reactor will help lower it from the CO2? Or any other suggestions. I'm guessing the RO water doesn't have much buffering capabilities but I am using equilibrium to help with that. Maybe I need more? I didn't really want to use my tap water because there's no telling whats in it.

2. Click Here!

3. Triggerfish

Triggerfish Ritteri Anemone

yeah about 2-3, they rely on leftovers, so you can't add too many. Sterbas look cool, or at least better than the emeralds. Harlequin rasboras are another cool fish that looks great in schools. Nice clown loach too, I'm thinking I might get some.

4. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

Yeah I really like rasboras AND rummynose but I wanted one big school of something instead of 2 small schools. I got this clown loach because I had a snail infestation in my old tank from petsmart plants. lol Once he reaches 3-4" I will get rid of him. Great personality though. I will miss him. (or I could upgrade..... MUAHAhAHA!)

5. Triggerfish

You could buy a buffer that automatically lowers it to a good ph level. The reactor might help, but it will definitely allow the plants to grow faster.

6. Triggerfish

Then stick with the neon tetras, but you could still have a small school of another type of fish. I always dip plants in malachite green to avoid unwanted pests, I learned that after my cousin, who has about a million tiny snails in his tank. Don't upgrade, if you do then it will never end, and soon your reef will be forgotten.

7. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

Problem is most auto buffers like perfect pH or pH proper 7.0 contain phosphate buffer or sodium or chloride and will kill plants.

Haha. I know, I was kidding about the upgrade. I'm investing in some corals from now on.

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Your faster growing plants will also help pull down the pH through their growth. Watch the banana plant they only last about 6 months then die off. Looks great.

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

The equalibrium will increase pH because it is adding back buffers and minerals to the RO water. Get a kH kit and keep it above 4 or your pH could crash.

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You might want to find a 6700K bulb at replacement time. It will be better for the plants than the 10000k. Sunlight at noon is 5000k to 5100k.

12. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

Man, I didn't know that about the banana plant. It's growing pretty fast. :-[

Yeah I cut down on the ammount of equilibrium I was using. I got a GH test kit now so its stable now.

Looking into to that right now. Hopefully get one for xmas. ;D