Metal Halides on planted tank

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by Blue Falcon, Nov 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Triggerfish

Triggerfish Ritteri Anemone

Looks really good, I'd get more neon tetras(can't ever have to many of those), and another neon blue gourami(awesome fish). I bet those plants love the mh lighting, don't you like anubias? Btw, shrimp breed like crazy, but they can also get sucked up by filters easily, and I prefer neons to cardinals, since cardinals are about $3 while neons are $1.30 at my lfs.

2. Click Here!

3. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

Thank you! I had 2 dwarf gourami's in a 10 gallon when I was first starting out and didn't know any better. And they didn't get along. Do you think 2 would work out in this tank since it's bigger and more plants?

Also, there are 2 emerald cory cats and 2 albino cory cats. I can't decide whether or not I should trade in 2 and get all emeralds or all albino's. Any suggestions? I'll get a few more neons in a week or 2. I went kinda fast on stocking. But there wasn't really a cycle with the substrate and bio media I used from an existing tank.

4. chuckdee

chuckdee Peppermint Shrimp

I love fresh water planted tanks.. Next best to a reef tank IMO..

This makes me want to do another one myself.. I had them years ago, and I still like them a lot..

It's pretty cool seeing a nano planted tank, instead of reef.. lol

5. chuckdee

chuckdee Peppermint Shrimp

You should get some flow on the water surface to get that shimmer effect going on.. That will look really cool..

6. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

LOL. yeah I like this tank almost as much as my reef and it was only a fraction of the price. lol. I normally would have went with a standard tank like a 29G but I was able to get this nano cube with a free stand which made it cheaper than a custom tank. Well, at first anyways, until I had to replace the lighting. lol

7. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

oooooooo. good idea. be right back. ;D

8. Click Here!

9. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

AhhhHHHHHH. It's hypnotic! :glasses2:

10. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

Looks great, I think freshwater habitats are awesome. I love snorkeling in clear fresh spring fed creeks we have in florida and south georgia.

11. Triggerfish

Triggerfish Ritteri Anemone

I had 2 neon gouramis in my 30t then later added 2 more and they didn't have a problem, IME they are very peaceful. I prefer the albinos over the emeralds, but I like panda corys even more. But if you've been stocking pretty quickly then you should slow down to avoid a high ammonia spike.

12. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

Yeah I've been checking my params about twice a day and they aren't budging. I think it's safe to say the cycle is long gone. I will def get some more neons and another gourami in a week. I do like the way the albino's stand out against the black substrate but I don't really think they fit into the whole black water theme. I'm not a fan of panda's but I really think Sterba's cory's would look great in this tank. Maybe I'll do a trade in. I think my LFS just got some in too. How many cory's total do you thing would be good. Keeping in mind the area of a cube and the floor covered in plants. 2-3?