Metal halide

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by tim_s, Sep 3, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tim_s

tim_s Flamingo Tongue

Hi Everyone,

I found an amazing deal on metal halide fixtures and bulbs but if I buy this fixture in 2012 steering away from LED am I just shooting myself in the foot? I know their is more options at a less cost but I have questions.

Tank:

90 Gallon 48" wide

Questions:

1: with the current trends do people think I can get longevity with metal halide fixtures and bulbs?

2: How often would I expect to have to change the bulbs?

3: Are SPS possible?

2. Click Here!

3. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

My SPS are getting awesome growth with my MH light. I guess with all things it depends how much use they get, my MH is only on for 5 to 6 hours a day. Some days I don't turn it on at all and just use the T5's HO lights. The only thing I don't like about the MH light is it gets very hot.

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Metal halide is still far from obsolete, as is T5HO. With good reflectors and bulbs, you can grow anything you want. However, with a tank that size, and being in the market for a new light fixture, you might want to consider LED, instead. Taotronics and ReefBreeders units are getting good reviews.

5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

more information on the amazing deal would be good

all MH set ups are not created equally, as such knowing the lamps, ballasts and reflectors involved would certainly be useful information

but if they are decent quality lamps, ballasts and reflectors, SPS corals are more than possible

changing lamps - depending again on quality 9 - 12 months is often suggested , due to loss of colour temp etc the older the lamps get

Steve