Metal Halide vs. T5

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by Willieo101587, Jun 7, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Totally agreed. There are many threads on every forum about this. You can sum it up by saying each one has pros and cons. Either one will grow corals. In the end, either one can work.

I just switched from T5 to MH. Aestheically, MH can't be beat, maybe LED, but I still don't know about those yet. I'm waiting for a little so I can get a good comparison of how the T5s compare to the MH.

2. Click Here!

3. LoveMyReef

LoveMyReef Plankton

Hate to open up an old thread but it is a good one. My question is, I currently am running a MH 2 x 150 and 2 CF actinics and 3 very whimpy moon lights.

I have a chance to pickup a 6 bulb T5 unit for my 50 gallon reef (36x18 ) with moon lights and fans.

I had a 4 bulb T5 setup before MH but the soft corals were not showing any growth what so ever. Then I went with the MH setup and still, not much growth in my corals and mushrooms. I was thinking that a 6 bulb unit might spread the light across the entire tank.

I do like the MH look but since using it (about 8 months now) the only difference I see is in my electric bill, WOW.

Comments would be apprecaited friends,

Thanks,