Metal halide: How far above the water?

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by Seano Hermano, Jun 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bama

bama Humpback Whale

about a 12 inch tank with the frags on the bottom

2. Click Here!

3. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

You may want to get a higher canopy and build a sliding shelf for your light fixture so you can move it back and out of your way when your working on your tank. 8" above the water is fine so just screw in 1"x1"s or 1"x2"s on each side of the canopy after careful measuring and leveling and then get a 1"'x whatever the width you need. Example: if your fixture is 5" wide then a 1"x6" would be fine. Cut the length about 1/8" less than the inside width of your canopy so it can slide and not fall off. One thing though, get the best hardwood you can find for all the wood pieces. This will keep the shelf sturdy without warping. I used solid red oak for mine. The pics below show my setup. I have a 15" canopy and my T5 fixtures are 12" wide so I used two 1"X4" pieces and left a gap in the middle for air flow for the ballasts. This is just an idea I picked up on the web a long time ago. It also makes changing bulbs easier.

Attached Files:

4. tallreefguy

tallreefguy Astrea Snail

I put mine up high enough in my canopy that I can reach inside the tank without burning my arm on the Lumenmax reflector! I'm guessing about 6-8" up 250w halides on a 90g.

5. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Thanks everyone.

I drew it up & don't like how tall the canopy is compared to the height of the tank..it dwarfs the tank. :(

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  6. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

I have my lights at 8" to the bulbs, my tanks 20" deep with a 4" DSB.