Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by SantaMonica, Aug 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SantaMonica

SantaMonica Fire Shrimp

It COULD hang above the tank if you want to put it up high (after all it does not hold water, so it's light), but you don't have too. The advantage is that pods don't go through a pump to get to your display. I'm not pro or anti pump (when it comes to pods), I'm just pointing it out.

Yes turf is a powerful N and P remover, and if you are just trying to reduce these nutrients (like in FO) then combining turf with a skimmer works well. But for me it would really defeat the purpose of leaving food in the water for the corals. Skimmers remove food so that there is less decomposed N and P, whereas turf just removes the N and P. So in my case leaving off the skimmer give the corals more to eat.

2. Click Here!

3. diggardens

diggardens Feather Duster

SantaMionica:
    Do you have pics of your tank and system and will you post them? Would love to see your display.

How long have you been running it this way?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  4. SantaMonica

SantaMonica Fire Shrimp

It's on the first page of the original post. Been turf-only for a month; took the first week for the N to get to zero.

5. diggardens

diggardens Feather Duster

So sorry. I forgot after reading such long intense posts.

6. Jakerupe

Jakerupe Skunk Shrimp

I can remember reading about these things forever ago and could never quite figure out what the book was trying to explain! Thanks for the detail and now 12 years later I finally know what one is. I even grabbed the old testament for me and even after I know what they are describing...I can't follow it.

One question I have is the cleaning of the turf, wouldn't the chlorine in that tap-water harm the turf? That's what chlorine does, and I would think at least it would hamper the growth.

7. SantaMonica

SantaMonica Fire Shrimp

Yes I too saw phantoms of turf-this and turf-that (but I never had the book), and there was never enough info in one place to figure out what was going on. Then I decided one day to look into build a display fuge with seagrass for seahorses, and somewhere in the readings was a comparison of seagrass to turf, and that's when I knew what to start searching for.

8. Click Here!

9. liegeofinveracity

liegeofinveracity Coral Banded Shrimp

...the night time... is the right time...
    i had one setup in the early nineties on a freshwater tank, i thought it looked cool, the girlfriend at the time heartily disagreed. it was basically a screen door{minus the door} hanging above the tank with water pumped up and dripping down the screen,no light on it except sunlight, it made a cool{imo}raining dripping type sound, it was the only filter on that tank and it definately worked,but again,freshwater

10. SantaMonica

SantaMonica Fire Shrimp

Cool... how come you did not use one again?

11. SantaMonica

SantaMonica Fire Shrimp

Here's an interesting one that someone just built... said it took him just a few minutes:

[​IMG]

12. liegeofinveracity

liegeofinveracity Coral Banded Shrimp

...the night time... is the right time...
    the girlfriend wouldn't have it,:angry: and by the time she was gone i never gave it another thought. current gf is alot more easy going so maybe i could convince her, it was real cool though, like a living painting of algae,{ i love algae}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.