Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by SantaMonica, Aug 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Thank you tangster, and I agree it got to be a bit much. I really never thought it would replace anything as it has been stated previously. But it would be a pretty good add on as far as I can tell.

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Sorry for the old term and the acronym.

GAC = Granular Activated Carbon

It is commonly used to remove Gelbstoff (yellowing compounds caused by DOC's (Dissolved Organic Compounds)). This Gelbstoff (phenols) are primarily tannins. One has to remember that the same porousness that allows an algae to absorb nutrients, allows nutrients to leak right back out. Is there a net gain? Of course. However, I will never run another tank strictly filtered by algae again because I understand it's strengths and I understand it's weaknesses.

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Ahhh, I see Tangster has beat me to the punch.

;D

5. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

Discussion point: For the algae scrubber to be effective there needs to be both nitrate and phosphate present. If adding an algae scrubber to an existing system with a CDN, can you grow enough algae to remove phosphate?

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Yes

If you can measure P EVER, you gotta a problem.

7. SantaMonica

SantaMonica Fire Shrimp

geek:

You mean the people who were making personal attacks at me, and my family members? Yes, I wanted the mods to curtail (not ban) them. But personal attacks are allowed on RC, read them for yourself. By the way, I first pm'd the four mods for that forum about the problem; not one replied. And I did not leave; they deleted the account.

Are those folks not worthy of the same info that you are getting here?

Who cares what they think.

Get your facts straight. RC is the only ban. Reefs is the only closed.

And yours shows you are not.

Try again.

You are a real research scientist.

Yes, I sound somebody.

Shows what you know. Must be that research.

Yes, me aquarium so green I no see fish.

Day job?

I meant to post on the auto repair forums, but got here by mistake.

By the way, I won't be seeing your posts after today, so have a nice life.

8. Click Here!

9. SantaMonica

SantaMonica Fire Shrimp

Ha. No there's regular people that live here too. The trick is to stay south of Wilshire, and especially, south of Montana.

Correct since you already have a setup. Can't wait for the pics.

A patent attorney on another site said the dumping design patents expired in 2002. But regardless, the vertical waterfall has no patent, and will not, according to that guy.

Sounds like you were harvesting without removing the screens and taking them to the sink first?

I was kinda upset about that too; seemed to cost Morgan and folks some money. But I think Morgan is back in the game.

You'll be happy to know that in the current batch of scrubbers, where folks are properly taking them to the sink for cleaning/harvesting, there has not been one report of yellowing, nor one report of spreading to the display. The only movement of algae has been from the display to the scrubber, which is how we want it of course.

Then someone please tell me why my scrubber-only tank is working great. And the list that I'm compiling of many many others that are doing the same with algae-only (some form) filtration.

10. SantaMonica

SantaMonica Fire Shrimp

Today's build-of-the-day is the very first solar powered screen that I've seen on any thread. Lighting will not be a problem with this one. Uses a simple pressurized pvc frame:

[​IMG]

11. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Where is a picture of YOURS with YOUR tank in the picture???

12. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Hey, guys, calm down.
    Lets keep it at a debate at most.
    Regardless of his/her intentions for posting, he/she brought up some points that benefited everyone. Im no scientist, but if could just calm down, maybe we could accomplish something?
    Like i dunno, trying it out or doing what we do on 3reef and have fun?

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.