Mega-Powerful Nitrate and Phosphate Remover Replaces Skimmer, Refugium, Everythin

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by SantaMonica, Aug 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SantaMonica

SantaMonica Fire Shrimp

Geek: Yes

Av8: It's almost ready to operate by itself. Matter of fact I'm trying to find a home for the bucket. The acrylic lights are 1.5" from the screen, and the acrylic almost never gets wet. I'll post the progress soon. The lights I have are not 4 lights... they are two lights; each one has two bulbs in the enclosure:
    24 inch Current USA Nova Extreme 2x24 watt T5 HO 10K/460nm, T5/T12 Fixtures > Fully Assembled Fixtures > Lighting > Aquarium
    I removed the bulbs, and got 6500K and 3000K from here:
    GE T5 High Output Fluorescent Grow Lamps - Plantlighting Hydroponics & Grow Lights

For your 200 square inch screen, if you did the same 5 inch height screen, your screen would be 40 inches wide, which would need longer lights, or several of them. Or you could do 20 wide X 10 tall. But still would need more light fixtures (probably four of them, for a total of eight bulbs). But check the other fixtures they make... some have 4 and 8 bulbs, in 18", 24", 36", and 48" options.

Inwall: The purpose of the simplification is for the skimmer folks who demand that "skimmers remove N and P" and "skimmers don't remove food". It's not obvious at all to them. They really think that the more they skim, the more Inorganic N and P (that's ALREADY in the water) will be removed.

2. Click Here!

3. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Its funny reading your thread at RC about this. Especially the part where you were telling mod's to ban people who disagreed with you.

Waterfall Turf Algea Filter: CHEAP and EASY to build

you didnt get the answer you liked there, so you brought it over here and some other forums?

What is your motive behind this?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  5. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

After reading your posts on and hearing about this being posted on atleast 16 other fish forums that we know of I have came to a conclusion.

Some people have accused you of being commercial and you have been banned and had threads closed all over the place, but you keep trying to get more people to do it so you can get their results. Your typing is ability shows you are educated. So you must be a grad student doing a thesis or something of the like because you have researched this quite extensively for "just a new guys hobby". So you're trying to con people (newbs and less informed people) into helping you do your research on this because you cant do it all yourself. I must admit, thats a pretty smart way of doing it. You also sound somebody who has little to no experience in the hobby unlike the 3 years that you claim. Anybody who has been doing this for awhile know's without water changes/filters(mechanical and chemical) you water will soon turn yellow from dissolved organic carbons which comes from everything, including the turf algae. You aquarium water may also turn green from chlorophyll given off from the algae. Turf algae is used in sewer treatment plants and various other applications. Turf algae was part of the problem years ago when people were trying to figure out how to keep Acropora's alive longer then a few days. Acro's need pristine water to thrive, turf algae will not do that which is why its not used in water treatment plants as part of their filter system for tap water.

good luck with your thesis or whatever, but you're going about it all wrong or in the wrong places.

1 person likes this.
  6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I was thinking the same thing. I couldnt understand why he was "pushing" this subjest over and over again. I thought he was trying to sell some units. Great P.I. work Geeks. Luna

7. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

He really is pushing it, but I'm not convinced there's a negative and/or hidden motive.

I can see someone being very excited about something that takes care of a lot of problems.

Hey Santa... If you live in Santa Monica doesn't that automatically make you rich?(being so close to Beverly Hills) Why not pay someone to do this stuff for ya? Just kiddin(kinda). I love Santa Monica.

8. Click Here!

9. JayLloyd73

JayLloyd73 Astrea Snail

My 2 cents

I agree it's been pushed and hyped more then it should be, but must admit i'm a fan of DIY projects as ive done a coil denitrator and by the way that keeps my nitrates at ZERO and Ive done the DIY overflow working two years now with no problems. I don't have the money alot of people have so always looking for a way to make my tank better. I'm not willing to do this Project as a stand alone and take out my other means of filtration, but if kept clean it does sound like it can help with phosphate problems as I cant afford an RODI unit yet and I dont see any problem adding it into my sump. I think it would just add to my setup that is doing quite well allready and thats what I think people should get out of this thread use as another means to help maintain tank but obviously not a cure all. That being said I do think it's been informative and sounds like it would be cheap and fun to try if it didn't work I didnt loose much, just my 2 cents thanks for all the great DIY ideas the ones that work that is i'm two for two with coil denitrator and Overflow.

10. JayLloyd73

JayLloyd73 Astrea Snail

Oh and by the way if your only problems in your tank are Nitrates and nothing else, just build a coil denitrator has worked perfectly for two years now Nitrates always at Zero, and it cost me like 10 dollars to build it easy and effective, thats what i like to push the denitrator.

11. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

He has built an extremely nice looking protoype ATS. He was supposed to install it on his own tank on 9/11. I am leaning towards project for degree...or marketing this product that as near as I can tell is not going to infringe on anyones patent. Maybe have to wait and see what comes out of it. Should be interesting

12. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Are you talking about the one on page 10 of this thread?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.