Media to use?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by brannock_16, Nov 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. brannock_16

brannock_16 Ritteri Anemone

What media should I use in my media reactor to help kill my green hair algae? Right now I am using Bellaphos, but any other ideas are greatly appreaciated.

Thanks

Robert

2. Click Here!

3. ReefDaily

ReefDaily Skunk Shrimp

I have always had success with Phosban.

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Any ferric oxide type product will work just fine, IMO they are all basically the same.

5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

I have used Rhowphos with great results and also Aquaphos (aquamedics GFO)
    as your using it in a reactor, you are using it at its most efficient but monitor the PO4 levels and when they stop reducing or start climbing renew your chosen GFO

algae consumes it, so even if your test kit indicates zero, it may mean the algae is using it as quickly as its being generated

under those circumstances, I renewed the GFO on a regular basis until I had the algae beaten ( combined with manual removal and general tank maintenance , remove accumulated sediment, detrius etc)

Steve

6. brannock_16

brannock_16 Ritteri Anemone

Would it be possible to use a combination of two medias or is it better to just use one media type? Also, approximately how full should the reactor be? My reactor did not come with the manual since it was used. Any other useful information is very appreciated in trying to get my tank back to better aesthetics.

7. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I agree I think they're all about the same. Check out bulkreefsupply.com .. best price by far.
    Amount to use is hard to tell. I put about 1/3 full in my small viaaqua reactor. Every tank is different so it's really hard to tell how much and when to replace in another persons tank. Feeding schedule, what you feed, water source, ect. will make a big impact. It should tumble lightly. Without a low range phosphate test kit it's hard to tell when exactly to replace as you could be throwing out good media or not replacing soon enough. ..that's why I bought a photometer. Some people just replace it every month or two so you'll have to feel that out with your own personal results.