measuring the stupid stuff.

Discussion in 'Salt' started by lussieraston, Apr 6, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lussieraston

lussieraston Plankton

i have finally put the saltwater into my tank. i measured it with the proper equipment and it varies depending on where i measure it at. on one side of the tank, it says that the salt to water ratio is perfect. on the other side of the tank, it says that there is too much salt, and in the middle of the tank, it says that there is not enough salt. what in the heck is going on ...........

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

What are you measuring it with?

and what are you considering good? do you have numbers?

J

4. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Sounds like you must have little or no water circulation in your tank. What are you using for filtration? and are you using any power-heads in your tank to move the water around?......................... John

5. lussieraston

lussieraston Plankton

we have 3 filters. 2 bio-filters (penguin 125) and a H.O.T. canister filter (hang on tank;magnum). we've got 2 bubble walls that helps with the circulation of the water. this hour the hydrometer is reading at a .019, which is a little under where we need it to be. we also dont have our heater hooked up yet. i read somewhere that the temp of the water does mess with the hydrometer a little.

6. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

[quote author=lussieraston link=board=Salt;num=1112811291;start=0#3 date=04/06/05 at 15:36:41]i read somewhere that the temp of the water does mess with the hydrometer a little.[/quote]

Yes that is probably what is causing your problem temp defiantly will effect your reading............. John

7. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

8. Click Here!

9. NUHTTY

NUHTTY Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I would advise against bubble walls in a saltwater tank. They will create an unsightly skim on the surface of the water.

10. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Did you premix the water before putting it in the tank? Or did you put the salt in the tank ontop of the substrate and then add water? If its the latter then thats the problem and it will take a few days to equillibrate. A friend of mine made this mistake.

11. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

Are you using a hydrometer? If you are that bubble wand will really mess it up. Make sure there are absolutly no bubbles on the hydrometer.

12. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

You might want to consider investing in a refractometer sometime down the road. They are much more accurate and less prone to error.