May be switching to a 175 watt Halide

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Kevin_E, Mar 29, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Don't need to run a skimmer with the minimal feeding and the water changes. I think you are on the right track buddy. BTW, I have had my battles with my LED's too but I feel that is from me trying to go too hard and cranking them up too high.

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I've had them set high, low and in between with similar results.

4. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

I switched back to t5 from LED. I have a thread up on the results and ill try get some more pics into it. I'm not going to do the LED hate, but I couldn't personally be happier with the results. LED works for some folks and they should enjoy and be happy with them. For those it doesn't work for, switch. Why suffer when there are alternatives that work?

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Your birdsnests exploded in the two months that they've been under T-5s. For me, I like LEDs, I just don't like the results. I had better growth with 2 t-5s than I've had with 55 LEDs (no SPS though). The colors were better too.

6. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

Out of curiosity, what are the units your measuring alk in? Alk in the 4-5 range on dKH seems pretty low... I'm sure i'm missing something though. I did find bottomless mimosa's earlier so my error margin is a bit wide. Hopefully that buys me a stupid question. =)

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Sounds like a fantastic day. Meq/L are what my units are. It's roughly 10 dKH.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

Yup that explains it. Knew something was off.

10. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

I was totally in love with my LEDs. They were cool, light, elegant looking, controllable, and didn't need bulb changes. But if they don't work for me, they don't work for me.

11. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Something I am noticing with mine. Any minor change in the tank, my corals lighten up on the verge of bleaching. For example, when I started running gfo the first time. Everything lightened up and xenia melted. I'm thinking that was due to water clarity vs. the lighting. The other day, I put my 90 degree optics on and raised my fixture up a bit without changing the intensity. I'm now noticing a bit of lightening in my corals again. I did this with the addition of starting a vinegar regimen but I don't think the vinegar would have that effect that fast. I truly think that people under estimate LED's, especially the blues. One reason I say this, from my observation of my tank, it seems that the higher light loving corals (acros and encrusting montis) seem to not be affected at all by the changes but my plating acros and montis do. For some reason, the blues seem to penetrate much better with LED than actinics do with say t5 or pc lighting. This is just what I have seen with my own tank.

12. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I wish i could get to the point of where my corals could lighten up lol. Did a 1 gallon water change and i am at 1.025.