Maxspect gyre

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by muggle, Feb 5, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jim Bonds

Jim Bonds Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have a 29g biocube. I've attached a pic from the front and left sides before I added anything to the tank. Right now I have my recirc pump return nozzle on the left side of the back wall and a Koralia Hydor Nano on the right side of the back wall. I want to upgrade to something better and more controllable. Both are angled out and forward. Because of my rock work, which is tall, I think an MP-10 would be slamming into the rock no matter where I put it. I was thinking a Gyre on the right side blowing to the left across the top would be good for me. My thoughts are on reliability and function. I know they recently came out with new propellers which are supposed to be much stronger. Does anyone have any experience with the XF130 in a smaller tank similar to mine? File_000.jpeg File_000-2.jpeg

2. Click Here!

3. SH4GGY

SH4GGY Plankton

Jim, I ran a 29G nano cube for a couple of years. I have a XF130 in my 60G cube as well as a XF150 in my 115G. I don't think that you could turn the 130 down low enough to not have a hurricane in the 29G - I have it at 50% in my 60 and any more than that I have a sandstorm. Incidentally, I like the 'scape that you set up.

4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

I think you'd be better off with an mp10 for that, as mentioned above a gyre would be too much.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  5. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I can't keep the gyre 130 turned all the way up in my 55g 48"L. I can't imagine it in a biocube.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  6. Jim Bonds

Jim Bonds Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Thanks, it's my first scape. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. Can't wait to get some more coral on it.

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

MP10 for sure I have one on my 25 cube at 75% and love it.Much wider flow pattern then any Koralia.

8. Click Here!

9. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

I have a mp10 on my 12 gallon nano cube and I also love it

10. willist0

willist0 Astrea Snail

I just put 2 in my 55 gal reef tank. They are plugged into a JBJ wave maker,the amount of water they move is amazing. The sand bed has taken on a whole new look. It's super clean and it's full of what can only be described as sand dunes. I am currently running each on constant flow for 30 seconds each. I'm still experimenting with duration and pump speed. Now I have 3 submersible pumps I don't know what to do with. I would definitely recommend getting one or two.

11. ReefHaven.ATL

ReefHaven.ATL Plankton

uploadfromtaptalk1450317225960.jpg
    I have one. It's a pretty strong pump. Haven't played around with it that much because I fount the setting I liked within a few minutes. In the picture you can see how far the pump pushes the water on my 75 gallon. I have it at 60% pulsing

12. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Just got a gyre 130. I have to say im impressed with it. I currently run it on full, pulsing for 2 seconds. Still running my mp10 and wp25 on full also. Tank is 50g breeder style.

It's amazing how each of the pumps does a different thing but together they're amazing. The gyre visually moves the most water, due to its wide dispersal. The mp10 ramps up and down providing random flow and a decently wide dispersal. The wp25 is focused raw power, a small fire hose atleast.

In my tank if I had to chose just one, I want to say it would be the gyre, however depending on your coral choice, the gyre may be too much. I'd say stick with the mp10.