Maxspect gyre

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by muggle, Feb 5, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. muggle

muggle Purple Spiny Lobster

any experience with maxspect gyre

Was told add this and could eliminate my powerheads

2. Click Here!

3. Gabby

Gabby Spaghetti Worm

Following along - I've been considering one myself. :)

4. AnotherMike

AnotherMike Fire Worm

How big is your tank and what power heads do you have?

I had 4 front facing power heads and an mp40 on each side of the tank in my 66" 150g tank. I added a gyre and and now I just run 1 mp40 on the opposing side for variable flow, but tbh I don't think I need it. I am acro heavy so I do like a lot of flow. I had to put on 1 of the rear facing power heads on to eliminate a dead spot due to rock formations.

The maxspect is quieter than my mp40. I'm considering a second one, but want to wait to see if they come out with an advanced controller so they will work together.

It moves a ton of water. I have mine at 30pct on pulse mode. Reverse mode looked promising, but doesn't work well.

I cant speak to longevity or reliability yet obviously, but I would highly recommend one.

5. muggle

Tank is 120g

48x24x24

Right now running old maxijet 1200 and a koralia 600gph powerhead

6. AnotherMike

AnotherMike Fire Worm

A gyre will be considerably more flow than what you have. Depending on how your tank is configured, vertical may work out better. I've played around with both and kind of like vertical for my rock formation which is centered from back to front.

DSC reef likes this.
  7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Using a gyre in place of what you have in a 120 gallon tank would be like comparing an ceiling fan to a hurricane. I say go for it

AnotherMike likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Oldreefer

Oldreefer Astrea Snail

I have one of the first ones out in a 135. Run it at 40% alternating power and it does a great job with flow at the other end of the tank. Have had no noise issues. Would highly recommend.

AnotherMike likes this.
  10. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Saw one in person. Sure seems to move some water. I would try one if I wasnt fairly happy with what I've got.

11. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I know this thread is several months old, but I am bumping it and quoting it because I would like to know what you guys think after using this for more than 6 months now?

Any different opinions on them at this point?

Would you recommend the gyre?

Muggle, did you ever get one? If so how do you like it?

12. muggle

I did get one

Im happy with it-but again im not a hardcore aquarist....i like my tank, i like my fish and corals-think i run a good set up, but dont get hung up on things that others might.

Seems like decent water movement thru tank, its all i run-all corals seem happy-lps, toadstool, polyps

Only issue would be its either always running or nothing-but otherwise im happy

mdbostwick likes this.