Maxspect G2 230W LED - My impression

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by SimonSKL, Mar 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SimonSKL

SimonSKL Astrea Snail

Maxspect must have learned their marketing strategy from Apple in launching their products. Apple wants everyone to have an iphone or ipad in their hand and make their basic models affordable. If you want more storage you pay more money. I think that's good and definitely will get more users, especially those who are on the fence. So far after running my LED lights for more than a week, all my LPS and SPS are still doing fine with polyps extending.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. SimonSKL

SimonSKL Astrea Snail

To give you some idea of PAR from the 30W LED, here are some PAR readings taken by a fellow reefer from a pair of G2 160W over a SPS dominating tank 40"X24"x24"

[​IMG]

3” under water, under the 30w LED bulbs: 1481-1529 PAR.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6-8” under water, moved between two 30w LED bulbs: 576-590 PAR.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16” under water, near the center: 321-323 PAR.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22” under water, on the bottom - 236-238 PAR.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. The_Codfather.

The_Codfather. Plankton

How are the lights working out?

5. SimonSKL

SimonSKL Astrea Snail

Codfather, I saw some of your posts at the RC corner tank thread. I have a mixture of LPS and SPS in my tank but I was not very successful in growing any SPS prior to using the LED light. They all turned brown within a month after I put them in the tank. It could be my nutrients were too high then. So far the SPS are responding very well to the LED and new tips are coming out. They also retained their color instead of turning brown on me. Some of the smaller SPS frags almost double in size in 3 months. However, my LPS did not seem to grow much, they look healthy but they are not increasing in size. I think may be it is too much light for the LPS. Here is a tank shot from last night.

[​IMG]

This picture was taken on 4/1/10, about a week after I started my LED. You can compare this to the same coral in the middle of the tank.
    [​IMG]

This birdnest (upper right side in the tank shot) coral almost double in size since this picture was taken on 4/1/10.
    [​IMG]

6. The_Codfather.

The_Codfather. Plankton

Thanks SimonSKL for this write up and reply ..Wow that coral really colored up! so the Maxspect G2 230W works well in a 92 corner bow then ..I was wondering about the back corner being a tad dark but i can see how you fixed that.. is there anything you don't like about the lights? ..Im 99% sure im going to get them due to your positive experience with them so far

7. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. SimonSKL

SimonSKL Astrea Snail

I am not too concerned about the back corner being a little darker as it adds depth to the tank. The only thing that I don't like... hmmm... when you turn on the power, all lights are on and is quite a shock to your eye. If your power goes out and comes back in the middle of the night, your tank will be completely lit up until the next timer cycle. Otherwise I am pretty happy with the purchase so far.

10. SimonSKL

SimonSKL Astrea Snail

$154 for a G1 180W is an unbelievable and great price! You can't even buy the LED bulbs on the unit for that price.

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks for the update and pics - that is some great growth! 8)
    Still curious about fan noise - is it bad?

12. SimonSKL

SimonSKL Astrea Snail

Matt, There is little to no noise from the two fans in the LED unit. Because I have to put the LED unit inside the canopy, I have to install 2 pc fans on top of the canopy to vent the heat. Those two pc fans are rated at 20 db and they are noisier.