Maxspect G2 230W LED - My impression

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by SimonSKL, Mar 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SimonSKL

SimonSKL Astrea Snail

GuitarMan,
    I don't want to post anything that may violate rules here at this site. I suggest you Google Maxspect. There are a few online stores in HK that are selling them and will ship to US customers with the proper power cable. As I said earlier, the cost is more or less 1/3 of what I have to pay for a comparable LED light sold here in US. As far as I know there is no US distributer for Maxspect.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
    2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. SimonSKL

SimonSKL Astrea Snail

Hey Crank,
    Because I was cheated out of a blue 3W in my set:), yes, I think with all the lights on, it was a little too white for me. The 30W are powerful but you would need them if you have a deep tank or want to keep SPS near the bottom. I put more blue in with my T5 actinic.

4. Russter

Russter Flamingo Tongue

These are on ebay for $600 + $200 for shipping to US

5. SimonSKL

SimonSKL Astrea Snail

That's not a bad price!

6. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Brilliant reveiw- and i must say your tank actually looks much better with the LEDs then the MH. I hope your happy with your purchase! Now is the test of time and lets see some coral growth pics in a couple of months time!

7. fischkid2

fischkid2 Dirty Filter Sock

first off you have a great looking tank! and 2nd, thanks for the very well done write up. I will be looking into these lights when it comes time for an upgrade. any spotlight effect or is lighting pretty well distributed? and if you could change/upgrade anything in this light fixture what would it be (if anything)? i.e. lighting, bulb arrangement, controller, ect..

Thanks again for a great review. very helpful.
    matt

8. Click Here!

9. SimonSKL

SimonSKL Astrea Snail

Matt, thanks for the compliment. If I can wish, I would like to see a little more blue in the color mix but I don't want to sacrifice par for color if par is more important for the corals. It will be nice also if the unit can mimic sunrise and sunset pattern but I understand such feature will increase the cost of the product. I really think the current features offered the best value for the money. The light intensity of my unit is bright enough as is. I know a Maxspect user has switched out the original LEDs with CREE XR-E but found the light intensity only improved a little. Now if the product can demonstrate reliability it will be money well spent. Reliability only comes with time.

1 person likes this.
  10. Tadpole1mill

Tadpole1mill Purple Spiny Lobster

actually, from the research i've done, blue leds put out almost an equal amount of par, you have to calibrate the par meter to measure blue light, There are a few par readings of the blue leds on the nanoreef forum, but from all i've read when it comes to leds ur not sacrificing much par when it comes to the royal blues.

::Edit, the material i've been reading is all based on cree royal blues. just fyi.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  11. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

12. delreefer

delreefer Astrea Snail

after following this thread, i wanted one. I found the website and found they introduced a new product that has the option of getting cree sets or brightwell.so , i decided to get one with the cree sets.wjen it gets here, i'll get back here and add my thoughs about it.