maxima positioning

Discussion in 'Clams' started by 2t2_crash, Aug 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 2t2_crash

2t2_crash Fire Worm

I have had my maxima for at least 6 months now and it has grown quite well. After I got back from my month of leave It was one of my inhabitants covered with algae. I can only scrub so much of and am very delicate to it, I really like it.

anyhow, I see clams buried in sand or coral around here every time I dive, would the best way to rid my maxima of it's algae be to put it into sand halfway up and kill the algae that way? is the clam better off in the sand or up on rocks closer to the light?

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Maxima's like to dig in and bury themselves in rock and rubble they like a good amount of water flow and why do you have algae all over the clam ? Now if its been setting in that spot long ? unless you know what you are doing you will more then likely kill it if you move it unless its mounted to a flat rock or 1/2 shell of a old clam ? The most times people will just lift and move and not dig them out and cut their byssus filaments free and to tear these is a death sentence for the clam .. If its fine and loving life where its at then I'd not move it fix the algae issue.

5. 2t2_crash

2t2_crash Fire Worm

it is attached to a small flat rock that I move around. I went on leave and a small algae problem became a huge one that I am fighting right now.. but algae got on the sides of the clam, which is never buried.

6. MoOriginal

MoOriginal Astrea Snail

dude i wouldnt move it just get the algae under control
    i had a similar problem but i was battling high p04 - however i choose not to move my clam which was attached to a non fixed half clam shell instead giving it a cleaning in situ and then dealing with the algae

7. ollie51

ollie51 Feather Duster

got to agree w/everyone dont move it fix whatever is causing your algae do you have any crabs,or clean up crew i have 6 maximas and i have not moved one since i put them in the tank (my favorites) check out some in my pics good luck

8. Click Here!

9. Brendan275

Brendan275 Astrea Snail

yeah I agree. Let the clam be and fix your algae problem

10. 2t2_crash

2t2_crash Fire Worm

went home from lunch today and noticed the clam was not on it's usual spot... but in the sand on it's side, dead and eaten by a hermit crab... im more than mildly pissed but I am sure it's my fault.
    I have had that maxima longer than anything else in the tank!

algae is coming under control