maxima clam

Discussion in 'Clams' started by lust1kiddo, Jul 5, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

Im with mr.bill, clam stressed and died, then the crabs may have had a taste CLAMS MUST HAVE GREAT WATER, AND JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING ELSE PERFECT, AND HO LIGHTING they can die very quick James

2. Click Here!

3. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Foxface could definitely tear apart a clam in minutes. I'm not big on criticizing livestock, but you have a foxface in a 29? Sorry, but that fish shouldn't be in anything less than a 75g and most people would say that is pushing it. There is no question they can become destructive, especially if you stick them in a little tank. They are one of my favorite fish, but I know better than to stick one in my little 93g cube. I don't mean this as an attack, just pointing out a fact of life.

1 person likes this.
  4. lust1kiddo

lust1kiddo Astrea Snail

Thanks guys..I just dont want to get another one down the road and not know what the poop is. Vin..you really think my tank is too small for a foxface? That's the first I heard..even though I know that fish stores SELL you fish..lol.

5. lust1kiddo

lust1kiddo Astrea Snail

ok..what should I do with my foxface?

6. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I had one in a 55g and that was really pushing it. Live aquaria lists the max size as 9" and the minimum tank as 70g. Usually they are pretty good compared to some of the other vendors about size requirements. Also, note the part about feeding and eating LPS corals. If you search the web, you will find plenty of stories abut them eating corals and such. They key is to have a lot of water volume and filtration, so you can feed a ton. You should really always have an algae clip with some algae and make sure they are always full. If you do that, they are very reef safe, but there is no way you can do that in a 29 without polluting the heck out of your water.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Foxface Lo

7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

If you bought it at an LFS, return it for credit and find something more suitable.

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Get a bigger tank ;D Oh, or see if a local reefer or LFS will take it. I like the bigger tank idea though, just my .02 :)

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I would see if the store who sold him to you will let you return it. If the salesperson knew your tank size and sold it to you anyway I would bring this point up. If they didn't know the most you could hope for is maybe half your money back or store credit. Good luck and be careful when handling this fish its spines are venemous and can give a nasty sting.

11. lust1kiddo

lust1kiddo Astrea Snail

one of my fire fighter buddies has 125 in the fire house..Im gonna call him maybe he will take it.

12. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Not sure if you have a one spot or a Lo. The one spot has a max of 7 inches were a Lo is 9.