Maxima Clam has moved by itself ?

Discussion in 'Clams' started by MoOriginal, Oct 26, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MoOriginal

MoOriginal Astrea Snail

I wonder if anyone can help

I have a 40ltr Nano tank running a Sunpod 70w 10K MH above it.

I have recently purchased the clam shown in the picture - all good.
    Put it in the tank in the position shown - it looked happy was reponsive and opened up etc.
    Came down the next morning and it had fallen/moved to the position shown in the picture.

I got a shock first thing in the morning - and in the semi darkness before going to work moved it back up to shelf.
    Came back later on that day to notice that when i moved it i think i had torn this stuff off - shown in the picture.

I put the clam back in the position on shelf stuck a small piece of LR to make it feel a bit more secure behind it.

Came down this morning and saw that it had again been knocked/moved to the same position on the bottom left.

All of this is happening at night time only.
    It had a full day up on the shelf without any problems until where it had moved this morning.

Im not sure what to do.

Asked the clam supplier and he said not to worry about the foot or strands left behind - but that perhaps the clam had moved itself from the ledge.

Im worried that it wont get enough light where it is.
    its a 20inch tall tank - with light 1nch above the top of the tank.
    The only real space I have in the tank is where it was on the shelf.

Not sure what to do .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Clams can swim by forcing water through their valve. I would also look into snails knocking it over. The stuff you see on the bottom looks like where it had started to attach, so it might have been happy on the bottom. I have snails that are notorious for knocking things over.

4. MoOriginal

MoOriginal Astrea Snail

Just seems a strange place for it so far down in the tank - of course it doesnt know its on a ledge half way up the tank - but its going to get much less light then in the middle ledge - and being in the corner

still not sure what to do - i only have 2 mexican turbo snails and they are both pretty small - lots of stoma's though

Ive come to work today - and left it where it was - its going to have a whole day there today.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2007
  5. MoOriginal

MoOriginal Astrea Snail

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any more thoughts anyone these are the pictures from where its been all today.

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Is looking for a "happy place" --- try moving to different location.

7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

P.S. Very nice tank - btw.

8. Click Here!

9. bulltrader

bulltrader Bristle Worm

Wow, yes nice tank and the clam looks real nice and healthy. It is definely looking for a happy place. It needs a nice flat rock to attach to if you have it up higher. If it rocks with the water movement it won't like it. It likes lots of light but if it stays open and bright like in the picture I would leave it alone. I've had no luck with my clams staying on ledges but they do great in the sand.

10. MoOriginal

MoOriginal Astrea Snail

Thanks

Ive been advised also stick some rock behind it where it is now - see if it attaches to that and then move the rock - and putting it back on the ledge will be the best place but with more rocks around it so it feels more secure

Im worried if i left it where it is - it might go downhill if its getting stung at all by the plate fungia its resting on there...

11. kimmy

kimmy Feather Duster

something I have always done w/ my clams...i some what bury a flat piece of rock and stick the clam on it in the sandbed, wait for it to attach, than move it where I want it. Then I can also move them if I need to.