Maxi Mini "Accident"

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by CODEE111, Jun 18, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i have done ritteris before, a few guys i know have businesses out of thier houses and what i have learnbed is if the cut has tentacles andd part of the base and foot it will regrow and heal

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Thank you for the clarification. :)

4. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

To my knowledge only two of the 10 species that are natural hosts to anemonefishes can reproduce by splitting, those are Entacmaea quadricolor (the BTA) and Heteractis magnifica (the Ritteri). It appears that only anemones that naturally divide tend to survive being propagated with H. mag being much harder to propagate than E quad. I'd be interested to now your tricks and success rate with H. mag as most people are not successful with this sp., and I don't know anyone that has every kept a S. Gigantea or S. Haddoni (carpet nems) long term after being propagated. Species that do not split naturally simply do not appear to have the powers of regeneration to heal from such trauma. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I've just never seen anyone have any real success with anything other than E. quad. and I don't want people to think they can cut just any old nem and make two, because I don't think in most cases they will have much success.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  5. CODEE111

CODEE111 Peppermint Shrimp

It's all good Mr. Bill. We're just having a discussion about the thread. No harm done.:cheesy:

1 person likes this.
  6. Reef-a-holic

It just takes some getting used to...I didn't even use to like touching nems with out gloves and containers to put them in...anymore I handle them so much I don't even think about it...except the big carpets...those buggers are seriously sticky and you can end up wearing one if you're not careful, LOL!

7. CODEE111

I've watched a lot of videos preparing myself for the propogation and I have observe the Nems after they healed themselves.

I'll be ready when it is time.

Corailline sent a really great video in of a Maxi Mini being cut. I am not going to do anything that extravigant. A simple cut with a razor or sharp knife will work for me. I have yet to work out the fine details as I know I still have plenty of time.

I'm sure she will jump back in....maybe she'll send the video back in for you guys to see.

8. Click Here!

9. CODEE111

10. Reef-a-holic

My personal experience is that a larger knife (even like the cleaver in that one video) works better than a small scalpel...nems are so "squishy" that it's hard to get a cut all the way through sometimes...I find the Maxi-minis are actually easiest with surgical scissors much of the time.

11. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

ROFL... Same with condys- always have a hard time placing them because their tentacles stick to everything!

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

A wooden cutting board just for cutting nems or a good plastic one is a must.

Then a basket with rubble and a lot of flow hanging from the rim, with mod lighting worked best for me.

I have seen one rare instance of a Magnifica splitting on it's own. It was a thread on RC and I was amazed. A LTA as well.

A couple carpets cut, but they usually ended up with one anemone, after all was said and done.