Maxi Mini "Accident"

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by CODEE111, Jun 18, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CODEE111

CODEE111 Peppermint Shrimp

There are a couple species of anemones that can be propagated. After all, isn't a common mushroom just a type of anemone and people frag them all the time....and the success rate on fragging those is really high if done by an experience aquarist or someone who has taken their time and learned to do it the right way.....then it's a piece of cake, right.

Maxi Minis are one of the anemones that can be propagated and be OK and they are quick healers. They say they are very similar to cutting up a Mushroom or Ricordia and those are so easy to cut, I've done both.

I watched my Half Black picking at the Nem and looked at it with a jewelers loupe. You could actually see where the top layer was damaged and there was places that looked like stringy flesh. I just figured he ate off the bubbley things on the Nem.

You are most likely right, it may have been an expelling due to the Angels nipping and being trapped behind the tank.

The main thing is...he's probably gonna make it...hoo hoo!

2. Click Here!

3. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

all nems can be fragged, justy some are more resiliant than others. i have seen carpets and ritteris propagated with great success

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Point well taken. :)

Didn't mean to imply that it was wrong, and certainly wouldn't have a problem purchasing a "frag" once it has healed. Guess I just meant I'm too squeamish to do it, myself.

1 person likes this.
  5. CODEE111

:cheesy:Not a problem Corailline, it's seems we're on the same page.

I agree so much about them cultivating them out of the ocean. In the wild some Anemones can live to be 100 years old, they won't get that chance if we continue to hack away at them. One is all I need and I will get my clones from my own Nem or will trade some to others in the reef club that have propagated their own. That works better for me.

6. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

As others have said Maxi-mini and Bubble Tips are commonly propagated this way...I would like to add that most other nems do not typically multiply by division like BTA's...that's why you don't see other types of nems being propagated this way...other nems may multiply asexually by "budding", but this is a somewhat different process than splitting.

7. CODEE111

Very impressive....my luck doesn't run like that tho. :eek:

8. Click Here!

9. Reef-a-holic

Do you have links to where these nems have been propagated?...I've only seen a few people try with other nems...in almost all cases there was no long term success...most nems do not "split" so they don't do well when cut in half.

10. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Hmmm, I was always under the impression that all nems could multiply in several different ways, including splitting. Been a long time since I read that, though; I guess that's another myth that has since been busted.

11. CODEE111

Almost impossible to divide them into fourths. For whatever reason, whether it's too much stress or not enough of it to rejuvinate, fourths will usually account for some deaths.

Not sure why they do not heal or grow as quickly.

12. Reef-a-holic

Most all nems can reproduce both sexually and asexually, this much is true...only a few typiclly "split" though...the others "bud" off small clones which cannot be replicated with a scalpel, LOL! I've seen people try to propagate carpets and other nems...they generally are very slow to heal and most ultimately do not survive the process.

1 person likes this.