Maxi jet mod reviews

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by kss2801, May 29, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kss2801

kss2801 Montipora Capricornis

Amazon.com: Maxi-Jet 1200 Powerhead / MP 1200 + Algae Free Sure Flow 1600 Maxi-Jet Upgrade Kit: Home & Garden

Hey everyone. I was thinking about getting this but i have read some mixed reviews. i have seen a lot of positives but i also saw some people say that it creates a vortex to the water surface and it pulled in and killed their fish. i also saw something about it being shaky or rattling.

I would like to get some feed back from people who are using or have used this, so i can get the facts. K+ for useful responses

2. Click Here!

3. doylef4i

doylef4i Bubble Tip Anemone

I have 2 of these on my mjs and the work pretty good for how cheap they are.That being said they are cheap.I have my mjs on an on-off timer so every now and then one of them will spin backwards.1 spins the correct way all the time but is a little noisy-doesn't bother me but my wife hates it.I only use the smaller propes that come with them because the larger ones made a horrible noise everytime they came on.They will pull air if they are to close to the surface-mine are about 6 inches down.I get tons of flow and my corals seem to love it.They are very bulky looking.
    With all that said if I had to buy them again,I would not hesitate. They work great for the cost.

1 person likes this.
  4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

I have had one and it worked great. Its very powerful if it's to high it will create a vortex, if your fish is sick or small it will get sucked against it, You can't have that much power with out those side effects.

aren't supposed to work good with wave makers

1 person likes this.
  5. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

had them before I got my tunze's. Was very happy with how they worked, but Dingo is right, they don't work well on wavemakers and if I shut off the pumps for feeding, I would have one spin backwards. It was a pain, but for the money they were well worth it.

1 person likes this.
  6. kss2801

k+
    Is the noise only on start up? i will not have it on a wave maker so that wouldn't be a problem.

k+
    what do mean by small?

7. kss2801

k+
    that wasn't dingo though. :eek:
    no wavemaker so that's no problem. how did u get it to spin correctly? just unplug again?

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. doylef4i

No not all the time.They are set to run for about 30 seconds each so they might start quiet then make noise or make noise then get quiet.They seem to be hit or miss on the noise.

10. doylef4i

I tried with out the wave maker and if it started back spinning I just stuck my finger in it to make it spin the correct direction.

1 person likes this.
  11. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

Sorry sostoudt.....thought I recognized the avatar as Dingo's :-/

kss...what I would have to do is unplug it, and leave it off for about 15 minutes then try and re-start it. Sometimes that would work, but most times I would just stick my finger in there and get to turn the right way. Not really easy to do in my tank.....i have to stand on a step ladder to reach down into my tank.

I would definitely get them again if I needed a good powerhead on a budget. They are still worth it.

1 person likes this.
  12. sollie7

sollie7 Millepora

whats really bad is when they both start posting in the same thread