Mattias' BioCube 29 *New Angel!*

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by SwimsWithFish, Nov 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Should i add a flame angel as my 4th and final fish?

1. No, i wouldn't risk it with the corals.

41.9%
  2. go for it! as long as you keep it fed it shouldn't be an issue.

37.2%
  3. mmmm. maybe, but i would keep looking for an alternative for your tank.

20.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

:):)Hello all! For the past few months I've been gathering knowledge and Equiptment to get my biocube 29 reef going. I bought the tank with some other goodies in CL and I'm almost there!!! Just a few more items before I'm ready to cycle...
    Salt
    Rock
    Sand
    Refractometer

The cycle will start around Christmas.
    Here is my current stock list idea...

Fish:
    1 occelaris clown
    1 royal gramma
    1 bangaii cardinal
    1 purple fire fish
    1 Midas blenny
    1 pink spot goby
    Too much? More?

Inverts:
    Misc. feather duster
    2 skunk cleaner shrimp
    1 fire shrimp
    1 emerald crab
    15 nasaurius snails(spelling)
    15 hermits(???)

Corals:
    Zoas
    Montis
    Torch
    Shrooms
    Toadstool
    Frogspawn
    Candy cane

What'dya think?:)

I have a koralia nano and a rio 600.. Enough flow?

I plan to toss the bioballs and will be using the in tank media basket and fuge for macro, purigen, and chemi pure.

:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Sounds nice, seems like a little bit many fish for a biocube 29, I would keep 4 fish unless there all tiny gobies. HTH;D

4. Zechenia

Zechenia Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Personally I'd go with less.

When I started my tank (like, 9 or 10 months ago... can't believe it's been that long) I started with four. That was plenty! They are cool little creatures to watch, but they do bulldoze frags (I even had em knocking off ones glued down!) and they can kill snails if they think they need a bigger home.

I think I am down to one or two now... and I am happy with that number :)

5. vawdka

vawdka Coral Banded Shrimp

I would nix the Midas blenny and pink spot goby. At least at first. Those two can be semi territorial in some cases... from what I've read they get worse when they are in anything smaller than a 30g tank. It isn't much smaller but putting two territorial fish that like in a 29 might cause them undue stress. Not to mention the Midas might pick on your other fish as well. Especially the Blenny and even the Purple Fire Fish. At least... that's what I have read. I don't have any of these fish myself and it also depends on their personality. Some people have better luck with these sort of things than others.

I also agree with the comment earlier regarding the hermits.

Either way I want to see pics of this thing when you get it all set up. I bet it will look very nice.

6. SwimsWithFish

Thanks for your replys! Do you guys think I'd be better off with a sixline instead of the Midas?

7. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

Welcome to the hobby, and to 3reef. I think your fish stock list may be a little too much. I would go with
    1 occelaris clown
    [STRIKE]1 royal gramma[/STRIKE]
    1 bangaii cardinal
    1 purple fire fish
    1 Midas blenny
    [STRIKE]1 pink spot goby[/STRIKE]
    Adding the firefish, cardinal and clown at the same time, then the blenny. Clowns and cardinals have a great track record imo, i havnt seen nor read about these 2 species beefing... although i may be wrong.

You sound like your off to a great start. just remember to go slow. your inverts sound pretty good personally i would just get 1 skunk.. thats just me. everything else seems up to par and should be great when all is said and done!

one more thing what kind of lighting is on the tank, im not sure if you specified?

8. Click Here!

9. SwimsWithFish

Cool! So I could add those three fish at the same time?

10. SnooknRedz

If added last i don't see a problem with it. I was going to buy one, but i ran into a Pseudocheilinus evanidus at the lfs. Awesome fish. Ive never seen one until i saw this at the store. Hes very independent, avoids confrontation with all of my fish. My Watchman goby tries him every time comes near her "rock". harmless but funny to watch.

11. SwimsWithFish

Lol I love when watchmens do there open-mouth lunge thing. Very amusing.

12. SnooknRedz

its best to add them within at least a month. Heres what i would do
    **As soon as the cycle is over
    1. add your cuc. this will benefit you in the long run!!!
    wait a week or 2
    2. add your first fish witch you cant go wrong with a clown as your first ;)
    wait about a month
    3. add your next fish. If you chose the bangaii and the fire fish if small enough should be fine to add as a pair.
    wait a month
    4. add a your next fish
    (I say wait a month to help guide you as to if your system is okay with it, this may need to be longer.)
    Then add corals!! you can add corals along the way too, the addition to corals doesnt hurt your bio load as much as fish do.

I would limit the fish to 4. 1 being im a fan of not too many fish in a tank. I have 4 in my 20 and it may be a little much but i plan on upgrading very soon. And im confident that my wc and filtration can handle this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.