Matted (Aiptasia Eating) Filefish

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by LCP136, Nov 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

Interestingly, I just turned on another powerhead, and he's been swimming more. Are these fish naturally nocturnal by any chance? It just crossed my mind because when my daylights go out (The t5's with white light) and just the red/blue lights are on to simulate dusk (Poorly, I might add) he gets a lot more active. During the day he hides more and is less active. Also, a lot of people say you rarely see them eating aiptasia/majano, but they just sort of slowly disappear, which could mean they're being eaten at night. As of right now, I still haven't seen him touch any nems, but I've also been feeding relatively aggressively to make sure he's happy and healthy and eating. I've found that fish who eat and get fed more when they get to the tank seem to acclimate faster, so I'll cut back feeding in the next couple days.

2. Click Here!

3. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Mine was out in the day. He's not use to his environment yet. He'll make friends eventually.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  4. doylef4i

doylef4i Bubble Tip Anemone

That is an amazing pic.:eek:

5. Renee@LionfishLair

They're cool, huh? It did take awhile to come out and hang with the other fish like that. One took longer than the other, but I don't remember if it was the male or female.

6. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

Stunning picture. What kind of blenny is that?

7. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

actually i dont think thats a blenny. but incognito IMO you have the best fish and picture taking skills on this forum dont tell anyone i said that though :p

edit: its a leaf scorpionfish

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  8. Click Here!

9. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

Ya I wasn't sure, but it does kind of look like one.

10. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

A filefish update: Today he's been far less skittish than he had was. He's starting to explore the tank and the rock work and even poke around a bit. He's no longer darting away when someone comes near the tank. I'm hoping he starts after aiptasia/majano sometime soon.

11. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

yeah they do a lil bit. good hes acclimating. is he taking frozens?

12. Renee@LionfishLair

It's actually a cockatoo waspfish. It indeed looks very similar to a leaf, but it's a different group..... and a bit more venomous.

Don't trade your FF in! He'll get comfy and you'll adore his weird ways. But it may take awhile for him to be more out front. I don't run across too many people to compare notes with!