Massive! Hair algae problem...

Discussion in 'Algae' started by nyvw, Apr 17, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

Yep reef octopus nwb-100. Not on 100% of the time though id say like 80%.. lol. One thing im curious about though, how many people run filter socks? I only run one if my tank gets stirred up for like a day otherewise i dont cause there a pain

2. Click Here!

3. brandon429

brandon429 Fire Worm

They are common there are many threads about how to clean them for reuse

its a dead race between bleach and peroxide ironically lol

4. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

But the algae does come back. You have said yourself the method needs to be re-applied occasionally.

I strongly believe nutrient limitation is superior to hydrogen peroxide in limiting algae growth and maintaining a reef aquarium in general. Hydrogen peroxide is clearly a very useful spot treatment, I have used it myself on some macoalgae that was subsisting at the very low nutrient levels in my tank. In my opinion, however, encouraging hydrogen peroxide as a stand alone algae treatment is highly debatable since phosphate has other negative impacts in a reef aquarium beyond simply promoting algae growth. I also think it raises some ethical questions.

If you effectively limit nutrients in your tank, there are a large spectrum of benefits, one of which is getting rid of algae. If instead you use hydrogen peroxide as a stand alone algae killing method, it will undoubtedly achieve that narrow/specific objective, but you would not gain the other benefits of nutrient limitation.

I have read the "proof" thread and have tried it myself with success. See my post in Matt Rogers' thread a few days ago, as well as in the thread you started several weeks ago. I put proof in quotations since the term proof should not be used in biology... I would prefer the term evidence :) ... there are no proofs in this branch of science.

5. brandon429

brandon429 Fire Worm

thats cool. Probably the best condensation of what Im trying to say is that over the last year in amassing these pictures, the majority of posters have not changed anything in nutrient management after the treatments and the tanks are still the same, algae free. I had discussed how all forms of phosphate management have to be bought $$ over and over, media exchanged/recharged, so nothing is really one off in the hobby. My recommendation is based on the observations that we didn't manage phosphates hardly at all in the 2000s and there were tons of successful tanks, its nice to have other methods of control that get the same results with less work

the longer the threads continue, the more we'll know I guess in the next few years.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  6. Tsproul13

Tsproul13 Plankton

same problem

my tank has been runnung for about 11 months now and i just had a hair alge bloom and my tank looked terrible. i did a little bit of reaserch on the alge and desided that the best way to get rid of this alge was to:

Step 1. reduce lighting, at first i had my lights on for 10 hours a day i now cut that back to about 6 to 7 hours a day.

Step 2. reduce feeding i used to feed every day now i feed small amounts every 2 days. Some of my fish even decided to nip at the alge wich helped too.(flame angel,Dwarf caribean pigmy angel, and even my yellow tank)

Step 3. i got so tired of looking at the hair alge i took 1 live rock out a day and manually scrubbed each rock in a bucket of saltwater and then replaced it.

Step 4. i now do weekly water changes as well.

Step 5. Buy some turbo snails and a lawnmower blenny.

Step 6. wait a few days and you will start to see improvment.

Good luck

7. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

I would say just relax, you have a new tank that is going thru some changes. Get some turbo snails, and theyll goto town. get a nice big guy. You may experience cyano here shortly too, it usually comes after hair. but not always.

You seem to be doing everything right, rodi and such. Just maintain a steady schedule of WC and feed only what you need, no more.

8. Click Here!

9. brandon429

brandon429 Fire Worm

I like turbos they are the only ones I've heard eat red brush algae too

10. studlylilmouse

studlylilmouse Astrea Snail

I had a hair algae problem years ago, went to the local store and 'rented' a Sea Hare for $10. Ended up keeping the thing 'cause it was awesome to watch it eat. I would personally try that before you try chemicals, especially if you are new to the aquarium.

11. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

i cant beleive im on the 4th page and no one has asked him if he rinsed his " frozen food" with rodi?!? frozen food consist of very high phosphate !

12. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon