Massive! Hair algae problem...

Discussion in 'Algae' started by nyvw, Apr 17, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. brandon429

brandon429 Fire Worm

To add to options, here's what will happen if you use a new bottle of 75 cent peroxide from drugstore:

You lift out each rock and apply peroxide to the green, outside the tank. Siphon out the detritus that is up under the rocks, this is always good. Rinse off rocks and reinstall into tank

In 3 days all treated areas will be like new

Even if you change nothing about water chemistry it will not grow back for a while, gives you time to make nutrient changes to your tank with no rush. For proof google this 'pico reef pest algae challenge thread'

There is currently no better known method for fixing the infestation you posted

Peroxide is both a killer and preventer of algae, independent of phosphate levels

Pretty amazing, check it out! Your tank can be fixed by Saturday, totally clean.

Enjoy!

2. Click Here!

3. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Peroxide can be dosed in the tank also right? 1mL per 10g?

4. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I know nothing!!!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  5. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

Thanks! I might give that a try. Right now im running a reef octopus skimmer and have a 20g sump with ~5 gallons dedicated to a refugium w/cheato which also has dam hair algae. As far as flow my return puts out about 400gph to the dt and i have two koralias, a 750 and one 1400 gph so there is tons of flow in the tank.

Its gunna be a p.i.t.a. to take out all my rocks and i would like to avoid that if possible.

I think right now im going to go with a bigger cuc, cut back on feedings and run gfo amd see how much that helps.

6. brandon429

brandon429 Fire Worm

Sure, doesn't hurt to go all natural too, whichever gets the results.

I too wish id known about peroxide in 05, lost a reef to red brush algae unnecessarily

The whole tank can be dosed depending on what's stocked inside...its slower but very free of work.I think a systemic dosing might kill refugium chaeto...

7. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

So if i was to do this i just take out the rocks and brush all the hair algae off in water with the peroxide in it.. basically?

8. Click Here!

9. brandon429

brandon429 Fire Worm

Naw don't bother fragmenting it

Just remove, pour some on from a -new-bottle, wait and rinse well

Leave it on to get great follow up pics

It can die in the system, it will not hurt your tank, reinfect or release phosphates as commonly assumed

Any treated rock will just turn brand new again

Maybe just run the worse rocks as a test
    If you will put up nice before and after pics ill link this around ~

10. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

In this situation I disagree with the use of hydrogen peroxide alone. It's important to consider the underlying cause of the algae in cases like this. Peroxide alone would be a band-aid solution.

New tanks commonly have hair algae problems. Plus, I think the poster was over feeding.

If you use hydrogen peroxide in conjunction with a few other steps, then the hair algae could be kept at bay permanently. If you don't want to use GFO, I strongly suggest at least adding snails, greatly reducing feeding, and performing regular water changes. Also, carbon dosing is a popular alternative to GFO, so you could always look into that too.

Edit: just saw that you have decided on GFO and limiting feeding, so that's great! That should help deal with the under lying cause of the algae. Manually picking off some hair algae can help speed up the process.

11. brandon429

brandon429 Fire Worm

The data collected in the proof thread doesn't support the need for anything but a target kill. It makes good sense using current knowledge that nutrient adjustment would be needed, that is now outdated. There was a time in 2000 where common knowledge said pico reefs couldn't grow sps...

Peroxide is fascinating for sure...all statements by non peroxide users have been covered extensively in the thread, its easier to make a posit than to read it but I don't blame the uninterested that takes two hours lol

So if we are so sure peroxide alone won't work, without nutrient stripping, join the challenge. The challenge is we can beat your invader using peroxide and nothing else.

it is both a killer and preventative, even if current knowledge doesn't understand why. pico reefs grew sps in 2001 and we didn't know why until the article writers decided to allow it :)

If you dose as demonstrated, and change nothing else, this tank will be cured like 500 already documented. The algae does not ever come back like the first round, or we'd be getting that info in the thread.
    I appreciate any doubting, that's the only way to test the science.

Reasons why phosphate management isn't required is covered well in the thread. Im only trying to sell you this based off the outcome theres no other benefit for me, skepticism is awesome don't ever buy snake oil.

heres how the challenge can work either on the reefcentral thread or here: run external spot treatments as listed, photograph the algae all dead. Repeat in two days any areas missed in the first round, then those will die off too. Dont buy any new corals or substrate of any kind for three months, see if it comes back in that time.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  12. nyvw

nyvw Skunk Shrimp

I picked up some gfo and a reactor so well see what happens..but before i set that up im thinking of trying out the peroxide dip on one of my powerheads since it is covered with algae.. im gunna pick some up today after class and do the dip tonight. Ill be sure to post before and after pics.