Massive Die Off in 2 Tanks

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Blade_Runner, May 14, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

God I hope not. That would be a terrible waste of liverock and sand. They will leach it back out for ever. On the otherhand....he will never have ick again in that tank. Or inverts.

Jay : (

2. Click Here!

3. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Yep, it was listed as the only cure. The 210 was a FOWLER so it never had any inverts and no plans on adding any. Killing $450 of live rock and sand was hopefully better than loosing $800 of fish. Plus I was in Hawaii at the time and it was the best my staff could do on short notice.

4. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Blade All of the parasites would have died without any treatment after 6 weeks with no host fish it the tank

5. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Yes, but I was in Hawaii when I got a panic call from my staff saying that all my fish were looking SICK. I couldn't get to them to move them to a hospital tank. I didn't have lots of options at that time. Since I wasn't planning on any inverts in that tank I made a choice between killing the rock or trying to save $700+ of fish. I went with the fish. Timing is everything.

BTW, I was given about 80 lbs of "Live Rock" from a riding buddy that was getting out of the hobby. Most of it is sitting in my hospital tank, but a few hunks are in my 72 fowler. His LFS had him copper it to reduce algae. It's been about 6 to 9 months and I'm seeing inverts growing out of the rocks in the fowler. Copper is a PITA, but it doesn't seem to be a 4 ever PITA. Have you seen something different?

6. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Well from what I have researched about copper is that if you use it in a tank with live rock, crushed coral,Sand, act. the copper will be absorbed into it and then will slowly leach back out into your system over time. ( seems to me it can't be 4 ever ) as it would have to be depleted at some point !!
    Good luck Blade I hope that everything works out for you. ;D

Give us an update as soon as you can............ John

7. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

I think you are right John. I'm guessing 6 months to a year before it's down to trace levels.

8. Click Here!

9. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Seahem makes a copper remover you can add to the system and to remove the copper that leaches out of the system.