Maroon Breeding

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by sterling, Feb 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Females can't turn to males? Well they obviously aren't as sophisticated as we humans are. I'm just sayin...*Shrug*

2. Click Here!

3. sterling

sterling Peppermint Shrimp

That is correct Brandon, lol. females cannot turn to males. Im hoping my maroon is STILL a male and hasnt already gone female. lol

4. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

They will usually get darker when they become female and will become more agressive and territorial when they become female. Males are more orange.
    Maroon clownfish - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Then if you look at my original maroon and compare her to my new one, you can REALLY see a difference in color.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  5. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

She has changed a lot over the last 5 years. She started out as orange as my new one that I just posted. The darker image is the female change. If your's has changed to female, it's much easier at that point to buy a secluded juvenile to have him bond and possibly mate with your original one. :)

6. sterling

sterling Peppermint Shrimp

Well IMO, my maroon is a male. Here are some pics and tell me what you think it is.

Also, what would be the best way to introduce another maroon. Should i wait or what?

Attached Files:

7. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Your maroon is actually beginning the body darkening phase from the looks of it. It may have morphed into a female already. Your best bet would be to get a smaller one that is still a bright orange. Of course make sure it is white striped. Take a look at this link to see the difference.
    http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15 27 758&pcatid=758
    The best way to introduce them is to put the new one in a safe container, like my hamster ball trick, for a few days (I did 3 days) before letting him out. Then keep an eye on them. If your current one is still male, they may duke it out a bit to establish dominance. You will have to just let nature run its course there and they will settle down after that. Usually the only harsh death occurs when 2 females are in the same tank.