Marineland LED Single Bright vs Double Bright

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Jeff01, Jul 5, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jeff01

Jeff01 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Ohh. Well what would anyone suggest?

2. Click Here!

3. TSO33

TSO33 Plankton

I have the double bright on a FOWLR and it is really not enough, the lights are to focused even for my 90 Bow front (tall tank). I would look for something like a dual or quad t-5 setup for FOWLR.

4. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

The 36" length of the double bright will be good for your tank, but the Marineland won't spread very well over the width. If you are considering going reef at any point, you should really begin to invest in some reef lighting rather than something that will be of no use later. One Reefbrite strip would put some pretty good FOWLR lighting on your tank, and when you go reef, you can simply add more strips. They are also not very expensive and very well made. There is MUCH more good feedback on them than the Marinelands.

5. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

If you are going FOWLR then save some money on the light. Just pick up an Odyssea 4 bulb T5 fixture off of ebay. I got mine for a 36 inch tank, 75 bucks free shipping. No need for a hood, low profile, has moonlights, and has individual power cords so you can run dual timers for dusk dawn. I don't know much about the marineland leds, but I don't think you can do dusk/dawn lighting with them.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

6. Jeff01

7. insanespain

Yes, that's not the same guy I bought mine from, but same thing. That light is plenty for a fowlr and would also keep some easy soft corals. Once the bulbs wear out you can upgrade to some better quality bulbs.

8. Click Here!

9. Jeff01

Okay cool. Is there anything to worry about with these lights such as heat or algae?

10. insanespain

The heat isn't an issue. And I've had mine running for probably 4 months and haven't noticed any problems, its probably about time for new bulbs though, as it comes with cheaper bulbs. I'm not a T5 expert but ATI is a good brand when it comes time for replacement bulbs. Then again though, if its just a fowlr then who cares about cheap bulbs, just get some odyssea replacements for 20 bucks and forget it :)

11. Jeff01

Sounds good. Thanks for the help everyone!:cheesy: