Marineland Gets Reef Capable with New LED Lamps

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Matt Rogers, Aug 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Estee

Estee Bristle Worm

Anyone seen this anywhere online yet? It sucks that it is only limited to 60" length tanks. I'm thinking of possibly getting 2 36" and grafting a scaffold between them to make it fit my 72" tank.

2. Click Here!

3. ali1

ali1 Skunk Shrimp

So what's all the hype about LED if its par doesn't come close to MH?

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

The nonsense about lower PAR on LEDs is just that - nonsense. Many of the LED systems currently available might have less PAR, but watt for watt, the LED systems destroy MH. They're super expensive, so most manufacturers put less than the needed number of LEDs to get similar PAR to a good MH fixture; consider that LED technology has been on the market for about 20 years less than MH, and you can see why the situation is the way it is right now. They don't burn out, and you're pretty much stuck with the color once you get it.

5. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

There's a trade off. Halides create a tremendous amount of heat, LEDs produce almost none. Halides produce more lumens, but are less efficient. LED's produce more lumens with less current, but will always produce less lumens than halides. Halides change color over time and eventually lose their spectrum. This is not the case with LEDs. The life of an LED rivals that of a computer chip: 50,000 hours. There's potentially a lot of money to be saved over the life of an LED fixture over that of a halide fixture. With halides, many have to run a chiller to offset the heat production of the bulbs. You won't have to run a chiller needed because of an LED fixture. No bulbs need to be changed with an LED fixture. With a halide, the bulbs should be changed at 6-9 months. The power consumption of an LED fixture is amazingly low, while the amperage pulled by a halide fixture is pretty darned high--higher than a typical 900 GPH return pump.

It might be likened to the comparison of an electric car to an SUV. Many might ask, "what's with all the hype, when the thing can't go more than 200, or 300, or 400 miles without having to plug it in and wait. . . " For some this would be a deal breaker. For others, not a deal breaker in the least. Some are perfectly content with a gas-sipping hybrid or non-gasoline electric car, while others wouldn't consider driving anything but gas guzzling trucks.

It's all in the eye of the beholder. LEDs are the holy grail for some, while for others they're not worthy of consideration.

We have different needs.

6. scubafan

scubafan Plankton

I found this discussion after I saw the light for sale @ Drs Foster/Smith. My son & I have had a 10G nano reef tank for around 3 years with a clown, a sponge, some soft corals and the usual pretty stuff on the live rock. We added a cute baby snowflake eel last month.

We bought a 55G we want to set up as a reef tank but with more corals that the 18" 50/50 fixture on the nano can't support. I WAS planning on using 48" quad T5HO lighting before I saw this. My question is twofold- CAN this light support the same tank as the T5?
    And, will the initial higher $$ outlay pay off in no bulb replacement cost and energy savings? I Do agree with all the opinions regarding not having a way to use it with a timer, which the T5 CAN do...

Thanks!

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I'd go with the quad T5 on a tank that size. These lights here would be more suited for shallow frag tank type setups IMO.

8. Click Here!

9. scubafan

scubafan Plankton

So, do most here agree with Matt? I'd hoped this would be the cost effective option since I'd skip buying bulbs every year...

If I go the T5 route I need to afford the fixture, and I saw this one on another thread: Odyssea 48" 216W (4x 54W) T5 HO Light Fixture Advance $89
    Odyssea T5 High Output Lighting

This one would certainly help budget wise! Has anyone had good luck with this for LPS or clams?

Another question I have is on bulbs. Besides the cost issue, I don't understand why so many say to buy xyz fixture but then turn right around and buy all new bulbs instead of the ones that came with it?? I understand the idea that some of these are "better" in different ways, but beginners on a tight budget need to get the most bang for the (limited) bucks!

Thanks to all who provide input!

10. Los1980

Los1980 Purple Spiny Lobster

I think the only issue here is depth! I have a 55g tank from an old fresh water setup and my local LFS convinced me to pick these up. my tank is 48in wide and i think 17 or 18 inches in height. For my tank they are awesome. The moon light effect is so strong that if i stare too long it bothers my eyes. I still agree with what i have been reading regarding the depth. LED's do not penetrate as well (YET)

11. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

Well I got one given to me today. I put it on my sons 92 corner and think the 36in current sun dial was way brighter. I think it looks good but think that you would need at least 2 of them to equal the T5s. The brightness was ok but it shoots straight down so you miss half the tank. This would be a great light on a 40 gallon breeded or a tank like that but for this its just a bit outside.

12. ch.campos

ch.campos Plankton

marineland Double Bright PAR numbers on the box

Hi,

I loved the graph in the first post showing "Marineland is even posting PAR numbers on the box".

Anyone has one of this for the marineland Double Bright?

Thanks,
    Chris