marine tanks without skimmers

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by granocompany, Oct 14, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

very cool! love the fish too

2. Click Here!

3. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I've been maintaining this tank for about 2 years now. No skimmer

[​IMG]
    crappy phone pic, but I can say that some of these corals were here before I started and some of these larger corals were frags that I put in there that grew to a portion that you see above, in the crappy top-down cell phone photo.

4. REEFerMADNESS88

REEFerMADNESS88 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

very cool did you have corals or fish and LR only

5. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

He had a tank setup, he just wanted someone to come by once a week and do water changes, general maintenance. When I started, his tank was 75% pulsing xenia. After 6 months, he had me come by on a saturday and I unleashed a scrubbing of mass-properties on the zenia infested rocks. Somehow, I managed to remove all the xenia, the button polyps, they are a different story. :oops:

So, from there, he's been adding coral he buys or trades. Just like most hobbyists, we like to tinker, but the maintenance is a PITA. So, if I had the ability I'd pay someone to maintain my reef tank :D I'd be doing that in a heartbeat!

The one thing that I can say has been the best thing for this tank, stability, regular maintenance and not making things more difficult than they need to be.

6. Jim Bonds

Jim Bonds Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Very cool tank. I like the macro in the display because it's different from what I usually see.

granocompany likes this.
  7. granocompany

granocompany Astrea Snail

This is my 450 l tank with macro algae and no skimmer

Midnight_Madman likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

I have a question, why no skimmer? Is there something negative that a skimmer causes on a tank?

10. granocompany

granocompany Astrea Snail

Plants do better job then skimmer, keep my tanks healthy, corals grow, multiply and fish are very happy. Skimmer take out elements what corals need too, iodine for example and additional space, nose. All my tanks without skimmer, natural, organic, no drops IMG_1919.JPG IMG_1919.JPG
    I have lots of videos and pictures and will post, thanks for replay

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  11. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

I am one of the ones who actually like the look of macro algae in the display too. My first salt tank had some about 20 years ago but since then I havent done it..
    I am thinking about this again now!
    My issue is I have a Niger Triggerfish that produces a decent amount of waste... do you think if I had enough macro in the fuge and display, I could eventually remove the skimmer? Or is it not worth it?

12. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Skimmers do not remove iodine from sw.That is an old myth.
    http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31982

Corailline likes this.