Marc Weiss' Moonshine Moon Light

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Matt Rogers, Oct 4, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Lot more people using 'moon lights' this days on their reef tanks. Here is a new one from Marc Weiss - The 'Moonshine.'

It uses a 1 WATT!!!! 'hybrid phosphor light source' that puts out blue-actinic in the 470-480 range.   8)
    Anyone got one?

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Yikes

Yikes Plankton

i would like to get one! can you provide a link?

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Sure, here you go:

http://www.marcweissco.com

BUt, it's not even on the site yet. There's some contact info though. If you find anything out about it, keep us posted!

Hey, thanks for becoming a member here by the way. 8)

[flash=468,60]http://www.3reef.com/fish/sitepics/threesteps3.swf[/flash]

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I bought one of these at the IMAC conference this spring. It is a single point of light like a MH lamp so you get glitter lines in the tank. Pretty cool.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Cool. How much was it?

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I'm guessing $70. I know that is a lot for a moonlight but those darn glitter-lines had me hooked.

PS---I had a hitchhiker stone crab in my tank that I tried EVERY KNOWN METHOD of removing short of dismantling all of my LR. He would come out only at night and KILL, KILL, KILL. When I added the moonlight, I didn't have anymore livestock losses. He stayed in the rockwork. He has luckily gone to crab hell now. One night I heard the shootout at the O.K. Corral in my tank. Either Butch Cassidy (pistol shrimp) killed him or he just died on his own. I don't know because I have never seen the carcass.

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

10. reefguy

reefguy Astrea Snail

I've had a couple of these for about 6 months on one of my tanks. I bought them when they first came out and overall I've been really pleased with the effects. They definitely make night viewing very enjoyable. They are rather expensive though ($70) and I have noticed some difference in the color between the two lights. I have them on my 55 and two is plenty. I wanted to put them on my larger tank, but didn't want to pay that much for them so I built them. I used this great DIY plan that worked perfectly:

DIY Moonlight

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Just bought a moon light on Ebay myself. Not this unit though... It is from a company named "Pacific Marine". They sell different units. The one I settled on has 4 blue LED lamps (about 1 watt as well). The lights are on flexible wires so you can osition them above or I guess beside the tank. Very, very nice unit. Also creates light beams or can be reflected off the top of your hood reflector to give a broad light effect... My fish Love it ! When it got dark they used to just hide.. now they swim around... a whole different baahavior.. Check Moon LIghts out on Ebay under pets>fish...

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Just bought a moon light on Ebay myself. Not this unit though... It is from a company named "Pacific Marine". They sell different units. The one I settled on has 4 blue LED lamps (about 1 watt as well). The lights are on flexible wires so you can osition them above or I guess beside the tank. Very, very nice unit. Also creates light beams or can be reflected off the top of your hood reflector to give a broad light effect... My fish Love it ! When it got dark they used to just hide.. now they swim around... a whole different baahavior.. Check Moon LIghts out on Ebay under pets>fish... By the way, the unit cost me 34 dollars plus shipping...