Manually dose, Dosing pump, or Ca reactor?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by siidman, Dec 7, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. siidman

siidman Bristle Worm

I'm in the process of getting everything together to start my 180g mixed reef. I've been out of the hobby for about 4 years and am a little rusty to say the least. I'm looking for some opinions on what I asked in the title, which one to go with and any details on the latter 2. I've been reading that using a doser to dose ca and alk multiple times a day with a doser helps maintain more constant/stable levels, and is more attractive to me because I'd prefer to not manually dose every other day or so and if levels are more constant and stable using a doser I'd imagine corals would be happier with this. And I've been reading as much as possible and it seems that ca reactors are great in keeping levels of ca an alk at the correct levels, but I know very little about them and don't know how they work or how they are able to achieve maintaing the correct levels. And how does the PH level come into play? I'm really oblivious as to how the ca reactor works. I know they have a high start up cost but again from what I've read they work great in keeping ca and alk levels constant and also add other essential trace elements to the system, but I dont know how. Can someone please shed some light on this? Thx a lot and please excuse my ignorance. I've been reading a lot but cant seem to find the answers I'm looking for.

2. Click Here!

3. jbraslins

jbraslins Teardrop Maxima Clam

i do automated two-part dosing with peristolic pumps. I find it easy and i like that i can precisely set how much of the solution is being added to my tank and at what schedule.

here's good video that talks about basics of calcium reactors:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4HO9u19davA

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

A lot of articles on Calcium reactors on the internet.
    Basically it seems the general consensus is a Calcium reactor is best for a large system with a lot of stony corals.
    A calcium reactor is to try to maintain alk and calcium levels. Not to raise calcium and alk.. therefore you will also need to manually dose if levels get too low. So many people who run reactors may also dose to a certain degree. It really depends on the tank. If you have a very light load of corals you may be able to meet your needs with kalkwasser and some light 2 part dosing. .. or just two part dosing.
    I would start off dosing if I were you and if gets to a point where you think it's a pain and too much money to keep buying your additives then think about a reactor.. A long the while gives you plenty of time to read up on the subject. :)

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish