mantis shrimp care and ?'s

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Va Reef, Feb 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

it would be difficult to remove the eggs IMO.......I guess you could use a turkey baster to remove them, but again I am not sure how the mantis would actually respond????? I said I would remove them, but in all reality it might have been just as stressful for her if I did.

I want to get another peacock sometime. I have a tank all ready for it, but just havent got around to getting one. She died about 2 years ago and her tank is still up and running.....but nothing is in there! I think we are waiting to get the house in order and remodel a little bit, then the tank will come out of the office into the main living area and will get one then!

I did try a wennaera for a while and loved it however after having Bob it just wasnt the same!

2. Click Here!

3. project1

project1 Spaghetti Worm

i really miss my last mantis as well .. gunna try and go peacock this time but they are really interesting animals to sit and watch

4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

yeah it seemed to me that it would be just as stressful trying to remove the eggs, then to just let Bob take her course.

i know how you guys feel, what i especially love about mantises, is that bond you make. however, you two (project and schackmel) should go out and get a mantis this weekend ::);). we could all go through the my first time keeping a mantis together, sharing whats going on and stuff. schackmel, you do have that tank just running empty. but thats just an idea :p

5. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I actually have requested my LFS to order me a peacock but he hasnt done it. Might have to go to another store and request it!!

6. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

you should, i hope my lfs gets it if i request, sometimes i think they try to rip me off even more cuz im a kid :angry:

7. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Peacocks are becoming increasingly difficult to find despite increasing popularity. The ones showing up on the market are smaller and smaller which according to Dr. Roy is a sign they may be being over harvested, as larger stomatopods are worth more and easier to spot and catch.

They do on occasion have a clutch of unfertilized eggs.

Two wennerae in a 125 gal tank doesn't surprise me. IMO that wouldn't make for a very interesting mantis tank as you would rarely see them in a tank that large.

I would leave the eggs in there if you ever have any for any reason. If they hatch it will be free coral or fish food, if they don't the mantis will eat them and recover some of the energy lost in creating them.

If you were to attempt to rear them you have to leave the eggs in the mothers care because they have to be oxygenated and flipped around pretty much constantly. Once they hatch they would have to catch them and separate them into individual containers (one per container). Each container would have to be fed and have a water change multiple times a day. You would have to have a couple hundred containers to get one to survive into adulthood.

8. Click Here!

9. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

thanks for that info, good thing im going with a Wennerae. i guess ill just leave the eggs in the tank :p