Mantis..do they molt? If so is this one ???? HELP!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Otty, Dec 20, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I'm new at this and I have seen some videos on youtube that shows a pretty aggressive mantis when something is dropped in the tank. I will keep an eye out and listen for a clicking noise which I have never heard yet. Thanks again for your input.

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Was that video taken of a mantis in a species tank? If so, then the animal had no reason to feel threatened and would be comfortable coming out into the open to grab something. Mine was practically trained to go after a pair of feeding tongs that I used when I kept one in its own tank. Also, some mantis are less shy than others. A hitchhiking mantis in a full reef tank will most likely hide until the lights go out and even then, may remain reclusive.

4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Thanks for the words of comfort. I will keep an eye on him to see if I fine more molt shells meaning he is growing. Hopefully I can get him to eat what I want to feed him instead of him just helping himself to my snail population!

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I'm not convinced that it's a mantis so no need to fret too much :)

6. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

how about a pistol

So you haven't heard a clicking noise yet, believe me you will not have to listen too hard. I have a shrimp in my tank right now hiding in the rocks, and I've heard loud snapping while watching tv. The shrimp has been snapping for over a month. I did find a picture of a white/clear pistol shrimp.

Don't fret too much. If it is a pistol or mantis it will come out more so in the dark then during the day. Put a little meaty treats around and while it's dark watch carefully. It vedry well could be an amphipod because I have seen the molts of them floating by but I thought I'd chime in with the idea of a pistol.

pistols: have one large claw, look like shrimp/lobsters, and hold the claws in front of them.

mantis: have bugged eyes, long body, shrimp body but with a mantis head. They don't have one larger claw, they have boxing gloves for claws.

Attached Files:

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I doubt it's a mantis.

Even if it is, there are species that never get strong enough to even bother a snail. There are species that stay so small they smash the exoskeletons of amphipods, copepods, very small shrimp, etc.

Even if this is one that gets larger like a typical hitchhiker, they can't wreak the havoc in a tank that everyone thinks they can anyway. It's simple Newtonian physics. Force = Mass X Acceleration. Even if it's a quick species and it has the acceleration thing down pat, their clubs don't have a lot of mass. Therefore, the force they can exert is minimal.

More than likely, the video you saw was an O.s. (peacock mantis). That species is different. That species CAN hurt you, CAN break aquarium glass, CAN take out all of your crabs and snails. Unfortunately (for me), you won't ever get one of these as a hitchhiker.

8. Click Here!

9. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

That picture there sure looks a lot like what I see in a blurr. I am hoping to get the camera out when its dark and just let the flash light up the cave and see if I can get a picture of him. Thanks for the help.

10. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Inwall,
    I take it you are pretty familure with these creatures, do you have one now? This is a link to the video I watched
    YouTube - amazing mantis shrimp video
    That is why I was worried, he is big!!!

11. Chubby

Chubby Astrea Snail

Scary Video but dont think you will see a Mantis like that any time soon.
    Chubbs

12. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

I found myself rooting for the crab on that video.