Mandarin Dragonet Feeding

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by smackrock, Oct 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JMALACHI

JMALACHI Feather Duster

2. Click Here!

3. hasek1639

hasek1639 Fire Shrimp

Mine are trained to eat frozen and flake and pellet. I just lost my recent mandarin to a string from a urchin cause he got to close. But he was trained to eat everything by me. He just got replaced by a mandarin that eats frozen and now i am training for him to eat more. I don't agree with the starving. Mine picks yes but gains alot more fat and protien from the mix of food he gets. My first was so fat almost considered him for a diet cause when food hit the tank he looked like a fat kid in a candy store he fluttered all over and eat all he could down. So while this is not common it can be done.

4. Durty Dj's 916

Durty Dj's 916 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

**** i just bought one did some research but didn't expect anything like this... Hope mine makes it.

5. DrewSk

DrewSk Feather Duster

I dont know if this is completely accurate, but I have heard that tank bred/raised mandarins are far more likely to eat prepared foods. I know that ORA breeds them, and im sure that other companies do the same. does anyone know if their mandarin was tank bred, and thats why it takes to prepared foods so readily? sorry if this is a slight hijack!

6. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

I disagree that mandarins can only survive long term on live food. If the mandarin is eating a well selected and varied diet of frozen food, it can survive just as long as one with a plentiful supply of live food. Of course, getting one that eats frozen is the hard part.

There are mixed reviews out there on this topic. Some have had success with ORA mandarins, others have done better with wild caught ones. In my opinion, tank bred mandarins are the safer choice. To further increase your chances of success, make sure it is eating frozen food in the LFS. If it is, buy the same food as the LFS is feeding to ease the transition to your tank.

Yes, some have reported that even with these measures, their mandarin never ate frozen. To me, it is all about maximizing your chances of success and taking a few precautionary steps can do that.

7. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

My mandarins touch nothing but Pods both the male and the female