mandarin dragonet feeding

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by jfuller, Aug 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

I agree, not a good decision. Mandarins take to Nutramar Ova readily, so you may give that a try. It works for everyone, except Vinny. ::)

2. Click Here!

3. jfuller

jfuller Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

has anyone had luck weening them to frozen mysis or flake food? like i said he picks at pellets and he has been happy enough for the last four months.

4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Yes, absolutely! However, it can take 6 months to a year for them to die from malnutrition. Mandarins have very specialized dietary needs that can only be met with pods and/or specially prepared foods, regardless what they may eat.

1 person likes this.
  5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Can we please define who everyone is?::)
    And your right I have tried a dozen times and my Mandarin could care less about Nutramar Ova.Its probably because I know what they eat naturally and have provided it for him.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
    2 people like this.
  6. Vinnyboombatz

Sorry for your loss.

7. libog2fish

libog2fish Fire Shrimp

I lost 1 of my 2 mandarins...although in a sad way...
    not to starvation but I guess when my power went out the water keeps heading down the sump until a certain cutoff point...
    the dragonet must have been carried by the current running down the sump and then when the power turned back on my 160 cone skimmer wasn't leveling at the neck meaning somthing was stuck where the water would be brough in the cylinder...
    long and behold it was my beautiful dragonet...
    I pulled the little feller out to find him in one peice but dead...:(:cry:

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

And that loss was a 210g tank that I put $200 worth of pod cultures from 4 different sources!!! I just didn't wait long enough for them to get set and breeding at a sufficient rate... I'm going to wait till after the new year to try again...

1 person likes this.
  10. Vinnyboombatz

Yeah you shouldn't have a problem then. Mine is going on 9 months with no additions of pods in a 90 gallon with a 30 gallon fuge..He's still chubby.;D Such beautiful fish. It also helps if you don't add any other fish who eat the pods.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  11. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Haha, obviously your Mandarin is getting enough to eat and is well cared for.

I helped a local guy set up his first reef tank, a 90 with a 40 gallon sump. He promised to take it slow, but after having his tank up for only a couple of months, he bought a Blue Spotted Jawfish and a Mandarin. (He blamed it on his three year old son.:p) I showed him how to feed his Mandarin the Ova, and in a short time was trained.

The point is that while buying pods to keep a Mandarin fed is not a viable option, training a new fish on Nutramar Ova is. They are shy fish, but their hunger will drive them to eat. ORA knows what they're doing.

12. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

While I will agree that a specialized processed food may work if you can get the fish to eat it, stuffing a mandarin with brine or mysis in a sterile 20g tank will not. Hopefully the nutramar ova fulfills all their nutritional needs.