Malfuntioning Heater???

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Reef Queen, Oct 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reef Queen

Reef Queen Feather Duster

Well its not so much an ASAP matter anymore, but this seemed the most appropriate section.I woke up this morning and noticed all the corals looked pretty crappy, well they never look pretty when the lights are off, but crappier then usual in the AM,my tank was at 86.4 YIKES!!! i looked in my sump and my heater was still on so i turned it down to 86 degrees instead of 87 (it was really early and for some reason that made sense to me lol) the temp has been slowly dropping all day and is now at 82.2...all inhabs look normal...i guess its time to replace old no longer faithful lol, i have always been a rena fan and this was a 300 watt rena cal thats been up and running for about 6 years (in freshwater before this) im kinda wanting to get away from a glass heater so does anyone have any recommendations on a good heater that isnt glass rena or not?

2. Click Here!

3. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

I've gone through many heaters over the years and I've discovered most of what comes from China is poorly made and likely to break, crack, or stop working altogether. Try to find a decent brand that is made in Germany, Italy, or USA. These products for aquariums are usually more reliable and better put together.

My Aqueon is doing pretty decently so far, but Hydor makes nice heaters as well

4. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

I ordered a finnex titanium one from BRS, and so far so good, it's small too and the control for the tempurature is remote and easy to read/set.

5. Stammer

Stammer Bristle Worm

I have had almost every brand glass heater made over the years in my freshwater setups....none have lasted very long or have been consistantly accurate. I have since had a titanium with a seperate thermostat and temperature probe. I have been pretty satisfied with this, although it has not been perfect either. I have figured that there are a bunch of other factors that effect maintaining overall tank temp consistancy. My tank is long and tall and therefore requires good water movement and flow. My tank is also in a basement man cave so ambient room temps can be rather cool in the midwest winter here and somewhat cool in the summer as well. I am always quite envious of people who have their tanks in a main room not in their basement, it seems they don't have to rely on their heaters as much as I do. It's like everything, you get what you pay for. Good luck.

6. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

I have the same heater and I love it. I wish the cord from the controller to the heating element was longer, but other than that its awesome. I was tired of the cheap glass heaters that constantly fail.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk