Making the plunge into SPS!!!

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Gabby, Aug 23, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I can't answer on the final placement, but start all of them low in the tank and work them up slowly to acclimate to your lighting. I would expect the colors to be fairly faded comparatively once they arrive. Give them a month or two and they should have great color.

Stability, stability, stability. Make sure your salinity doesn't budge much at all with these guys or you'll be frustrated from a growth standpoint. Take pictures too so you have a baseline to compare growth. It's tough to see from month to month when you stare at it daily. It almost looks like they aren't growing.

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Every piece I have received from Gary has looked just like the picture or better.

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Good news for Gabby. Must have great packaging. The few (4) pieces I've purchased online browned out in shipping.

5. Gabby

Gabby Spaghetti Worm

Thanks for the tips Kevin! All of my params are really stable except my temp tends to swing between 77 and 80 now that we're getting chilly nights in Michigan, but the days are still really hot. It doesn't seem to bother my other corals, so I'm hoping these will be ok with it too.

6. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Yeah most places frag stuff and take picture before the brown out then sell a browned out frag honestly... well I shouldn't say most places but you get the idea. He cuts corals and grows them out making sure they keep the color/don't have STN/RTN issues. I got the base of one of his mother colonies once that was branching back out of the old cuts. In 3 months you couldn't tell it had ever been fragged off of.

7. Gabby

Gabby Spaghetti Worm

That is great to hear! I've heard nothing but good reviews of Reef Pets, it was definitely nice having other people on 3Reef be the "guinea pigs" before I bought some! :p

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

That shouldn't be an issue. Mine temp goes through the exact same swing.

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

That makes more sense. You could still see the super glue when I got mine. They encrusted in time. The one piece (Acropora humilus), my favorite, RTNd.

I am excited to do business with Gary this fall.

11. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1 Exactly.

Also, FTR, mod 2in10 runs 4 T5HO lamps on his SPS heavy mixed reef. Take a look at the latest pics of his corals...

http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-of...new-pics-8-22-13-a-81680-200.html#post1504134

12. Gabby

Gabby Spaghetti Worm

Wow!! :eek: His tank is gorgeous! I can only hope that mine looks half that good someday! Thanks for sharing.