Making the Move to FW, need help!!

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by ZC42, May 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ZC42

ZC42 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Hey, guys,

Today I just got the go ahead from my parents to switch my 46 g, which I absolutely love, to a FW tank. Since I'm off to boarding school in the fall, I realize my parents won't be able to take care of the tank, but could definitely manage freshwater.

Stocking list:
    Honestly, I would love an ornate bichir, but I realize that the tank is simply too small for it.
    So could I do 1 marbled bichir and 1 senegal bichir?
    or just one.
    I've heard angelfish are good tank mates, so maybe 2 or 3 of those.
    That's about it.

I was thinking of a black sand bottom, with driftwood and some low light plants.

Also, I will be using the vinegar method to clean it out.

Since I'm going to be selling my SW equipment, pm me if interested and we can work out a deal- all equipment is only a few months old

2213 Eheim canister filter
    I have about 15 hermits and 100 assorted snails, mostly dwarf ceriths but many others too.
    all the other livestock is going back to the lfs for credit hopefully.

thanks for reading!!

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Keep the Eheim for the tank it will be fine for FW also. Go with the angelfish the bichirs get too big for a 46. Your plans sound solid otherwise.

4. ZC42

oh that's cool should I just switch out the media?
    Ah i was hoping I could get the bichirs...they're my dream fish. I'm assuming ropefish are the same deal?
    Also, Would it be possible to put in one of the members of the freshwater eel family? I really want something long and unique looking.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Yes switch out the media, same deal on ropefish. I think you could be OK with a FW eel as long as it stays small. Remember though they are a more demanding fish and your parents fish keeping skills should be taken into account.

6. ZC42

Haha they're pretty smart so I think they'll manage but what's all this stuff I've been reading about people keeping ropefish in 30 g tanks??? Seems way too small

7. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Personally I think 1 Rope fish would be fine. Make the drift wood a long log type piece and create a hollow under it. I had 2 in my 75. Along with a couple of Blood Parrots and a Green Sevrum. I miss my FW :(

8. Click Here!

9. ZC42

sweet, ive heard they are a social fish, should I get 2 then? I love them :)

10. NanaReefer

What other bottom dwellers do you plan on keeping? Actually 2 would be pushing it. In the aquarium they can get up to 15+". Mine were 12" at the time of my tear down. They love night crawlers :)

11. ZC42

hmmm, i was considering a fw eel but it's probably second to a ropefish because I don't think a fire eel could fit, right?

12. NanaReefer

No a fire Eel won't fit.