Making my First Fuge/Sump

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Birdlady, Jul 7, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Well, I guess anything for a few more inches is a good thing ;-)

I was more concerned that ( depending on the depth of the sand bed ), that the sand could actually block the 2" gap, does that make sense?

John

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Yeah, I see what you are saying,..I wouldn't have it any deeper than say....4 inches tho...I think it should be OK..

Do I need the 8 inch baffle to reduce bubbles:? Or would they be pretty well dissipated by that point? I could just omit it.....

I can see there is no 'perfect' plan....just what works for you at the time..... 8) ::)

4. cannon2222

cannon2222 Spaghetti Worm

Birdlady, around your return pump, you could build a shelf out of egg-crate so that you can surround the pump with live rock. This way if any bubbles did make it, the live rock would break them up and give you some extra filtration as well. I've seen several sumps setup this way and it appears to work very well. :)

phil

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I wouldn't go more than 4" of sand.

6. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

4 inch sand bed would be fine IMO :)

The way to reduce the bubbles is simply by making the water flow a longer distance and by changes in direction. So instead of the voume of water simply going from the skimmer straight to the return pump, it first had to go through the 3 inch gap, then over the fuge part then over and under some partions.

As you know the bubbles will be trying to rise at all times and even any microbubbles that are simply hanging in the water will have time to reabsorb or combine.

Maybe a good way to test the fug is to install it and run the pump with an airstone in the skimmer part, at least then you can observe what is or is not happeneing :)

John

7. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Thanks all.......Good Idea Phil....I think if I need that, I can add that later....writing note to self........

Yup 4" tops, plus I think I am going to do a 1/2 bed gravel vacuuming every month or two to extend life of bed....see how that works....What kind of sand would be best,...
    crushed coral or the argonite type sand --in the fuge

I think I want to use argonite in the display tank cause I think I want a blennie at some point...right?

and...yes, I will check the sump but I need to get some water in the tank ;D so I still need to get salt.... and make the water. Then I only have to get a new pump for my skimmer and I will be in business.

Looks like this plan is a go.....any changes can be added without redesigning again..I think....

Thanks again all! I appreciate your support :) :D ;D

8. Click Here!

9. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

It looks like you won that one MS Lady!!! Good Job!!!!

10. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Thanks for the help.....and Drew, BTW, I like yours too, but I don't know if I can set the baffles as close as you have them and I want to get the widest space for the 'fuge. BTW, my hubby plays a dx7 as well....

11. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Just checked UPS tracking and my RO/DI left Florida this evening at 7:30

I can taste the water.......

12. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Aragonite is what I used in my Refugium.