making a magnet stronger

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by cuttingras, Sep 15, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

wasn't sure where to put this, so here it is. I've got a cheapie magnet glass cleaner. Is there any way to make the magnets stronger? it barely holds to the other side through the glass.

2. Click Here!

3. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

sounds like you might have bought the one for thinner glass, what kind of magnet is it? and whats the thickness of your glass?

4. cuttingras

ya know it doesn't even have a name on it. I think it came with this tank, cause I don't remember buying it. it's about 2" long x 1" wide per half

5. {Nano}Reefer

i would grab a mag-float, i will never scrape with anything else ;D

6. cuttingras

yeah I think I will this thing is a pos!

7. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I'll preface this by saying there is no safe way to do this, at least of which I'm aware. This can be dangerous, so I say this with a grain of salt. Since I love AC theory, and I think I can answer your question, I will. I'll stress though, Linda--I don't recommend trying this.

The way magnets are manufactured, is by placing the metallic item (soon to be a magnet) inside a coil of wire and run current through that coil. Material that is capable of becoming a magnet has rows of mollecules that can be aligned by a magnetic field--like that field produced by the flow of electrical current. Iron is a good example.

[​IMG]

Your piece of wire would be insulated.

If you took a piece of, say, #8 or #10 insulated wire, and wrapped it around the magnet portion of your cleaner, and ran current through it, it could strengthen the magnet to make it as strong as it once was. This assumes that your magnet used to be stronger than it is now. If it's always been weak, chances are you got a bum magnet, and you're stuck with it, if you'll pardon the pun. :)

If you could take a long piece of wire, coil it evenly around a magnet, put one end in a 15 amp circuit breaker, and the other end to the neutral bar, and use the breaker to initiate the process, it might work, but again, I do not recommend this. The coil will produce resistance (inductive reactance), and might trip the breaker.

There you have it. If given the choice between blowing stuff up, or buying a new magnet, you should consider the latter. Of course if it were me. . . . . :)

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

lol for some reason this reminds me of when every body was taking the rumble pack out of their xbox controller and replacing them with underpowered tazers. i guess its because the same type of people would do it.

and yes i really wanted to do it i just never had enough money for a tazer when i was kid

10. {Nano}Reefer

lol when did that occur?? sounds like fun!

11. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

12. cuttingras

yeah I knew about wrapping copper wire around it and using a car battery, my dad always does that with drill bits and such, but what fun is it if we can't blow something up every now and then LOL JUST KIDDING!!!!!

KIDS DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!

nah...I'm ordering one right now. anyone ever used the easy blade attachment with theirs? or how bout that new one with the thermometer built in?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]