$$$Makin frag money$$$

Discussion in 'Frags' started by SwimsWithFish, Dec 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. LoJack

LoJack Sea Dragon

Other than branching euphyllia species, I find the LPS some of the hardest to frag. And definitely the lowest success rate.

2. Click Here!

3. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Now your seeing the impass that comes with trying to make some money off growing frags. Big money makers are SPS like I mentioned and some of the specialty/LE chalice's bring a hefty penny. Oregon mummy eye, mummy eye, bubblegum monsters & pink boobies seem to be some good high priced in demand sellers lately. The down side is they take a very long time to grow out.

I've seen some people that buy large colony pieces, frag them, let the frags heal over and then sell them. Acan's for example. Hard part with that is of course the start up capital to buy several colonies can run up a hefty tag real quick! Buying a colony at retail to frag & resale cuts the profits way down. Finding them at wholesale or distributor price is a whole different ball game to venture into.

Next comes the marketting. You have to have either a good variety to get much attention on ebay, or a good local market. Me personally I wont even bid on a ebay sell unless there is like 8 or so choices. Not that I want 8 pieces at a time but I want to be able to get at least 4-5 just to make shipping worth it. Shipping is a killer. I'm sure reef-a-holic or some of the other here cann tell you about that better than me though.

4. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Alright I guess I'll stock to frag swaps and the misc LFS credit.... Atleast till I upgrade to LEDS. Thanks guys!!!

5. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Everything in this hobby takes time lol. You have to go slow and do it right from the beginning in order to make any money on anything lol.

6. LoJack

LoJack Sea Dragon

Amen to that

The only things that happen fast in a Reef Tank are disasters

7. SwimsWithFish

Yeah unfortunately I learned that the hard way with my first aquarium. I didn't even cycle it.

8. Click Here!

9. ReefPilot

ReefPilot Plankton

Sounds like a good way to write off some expenses on your taxes!

10. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

easiest way to start selling is on craigslist. but of course people dont want to pay loads of money on craigslist so your price has to reflect that your just starting out and selling on... craigslist.

11. SwimsWithFish

Lol of course.

12. chelseagrin

chelseagrin Fire Goby

trust me i have tried many a time to make money from fragging, i do however set up tanks for people, usually dwarf seahorse tanks because i can get these tank bred horses for dirt cheap since i have a business license so i can purchase them wholesale.

i just recently set up a small 2 gallon set up with 2 pairs of horses in it, it took me 50 dollars for the entire set up and i sold it off on craigslist for 140. thats 90 dollars profit, and i just put that directly back into to purchasing more tanks.

right now i have a 10 gallon i plan to order 5 pairs of seahorses to kind of get an established group that breeds because they breed like rabbits and i can sell those off.

fragging is a very difficult way to get money in this hobby,people expect top quality frags if they are paying good money and it is very difficult to have thriving frags when first starting out, it may take years.